Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaky brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006 | 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Default Squeaky brakes?

Just did my pads and rotors today. I was driving around and i noticed they are a lot louder than the stock ones. I used drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk hps pads. They are pretty damn squeaky, for lack of a better word.
Just wondering if this is normal or not, thanks.
Old 03-02-2006 | 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

ttt
c'mon guys need some advice.
Old 03-02-2006 | 09:34 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Did you make sure to use caliper grease on all the metal to metal contact points? The anti-chatter clips should be greased as well as the caliper slide pins. Pretty much everywhere the pads touch should be greased.
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
Just did my pads and rotors today. I was driving around and i noticed they are a lot louder than the stock ones. I used drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk hps pads. They are pretty damn squeaky, for lack of a better word.
Just wondering if this is normal or not, thanks.
Same here... it is getting better as time goes by though.
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Did you make sure to use caliper grease on all the metal to metal contact points? The anti-chatter clips should be greased as well as the caliper slide pins. Pretty much everywhere the pads touch should be greased.
No i didn't actually. Is this something i should go back and do. Is it totally necessary, as in will something get messed up if i don't?
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:38 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

They may wear in and stop squeaking after a while. Right now there could be a slight miss match between the surface of the pads and rotors. My Hawk pads have never squeaked even when new, but I don't use drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine are just slotted. Seams like only rears squeek. After 500 miles, it has almost stopped.
Old 03-02-2006 | 11:00 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
No i didn't actually. Is this something i should go back and do. Is it totally necessary, as in will something get messed up if i don't?
Nothing will get "messed up" persay, but it's generally a no-no to leave everything unlubricated. Greasing everything will ensure quiet operation and make sure everything releases properly when letting off the brake pedal. You especially want to check your caliper slide pins on these cars as they tend to freeze up, keeping the caliper from releasing completely. This can cause the rotors to warp (happened to me). It'll only take you 30mins to pull the wheels and grease everything. When I bought my '85 truck the previous owner redid the brakes and didn't grease anything. The brakes sounded horrible....I went in and put grease where it should be and it's pin-drop quiet now.
Old 03-02-2006 | 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds good thanks for the advice.