Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Couple of questions on Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006 | 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Couple of questions on Koni's

I am about to install some koni adjustables on the rear of my TA. I was wondering if you use the plastic black cover that comes with them or just throw it out (I am not sure if it is to keep dust out or anything). Also when you want to adjust the Rear ones do you have to pull the carpet up and everything or do you guys cut a hole in your carpet or have some other trick so you dont have to lift the carpet everytime? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cut a hole. If you look there is one that is partly cut already. Just finish cutting it. Trash the little plastic piece. I think it's just there to protect the shocks during shipping.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:07 PM
Launching!

Keep the black covers, they're needed as a dust shield. If you fold down your rear seat, feel for an indentation where the top of the shock mounts. If you look closely you'll see a small square section of the carpet (4"x4") that is perforated on three sides, cut those and you'll have a small flap in which to access the adjustment ****. There will be a small piece of foam under the carpet that sits on top of the adjuster.

Hope that helps.

Scott
Old 03-09-2006 | 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Theyre right, and keep the plastic dust boot.
Old 03-09-2006 | 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I must be lost... what plastic cover? I thought he was talking about the small little one that was on the ends where the adjuster is
Old 03-09-2006 | 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is more like a dust boot. it is about the width of the orange/yellowish part of the shock but slightly larger.
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I must be lost... what plastic cover? I thought he was talking about the small little one that was on the ends where the adjuster is

I did too.

When you get the shocks, there is a small cap over the top of the threaded rod to protect the adjuster during shipping. Throw that out. The large black dust sleeve that mounts over the shock (1.5" or so and 8 or more inches long) you need to keep and install on the shock.
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98Blubrd
It is more like a dust boot. it is about the width of the orange/yellowish part of the shock but slightly larger.
That you want to keep. You are talking about the black plastic things in this picture, right? In that picture it has been pulled down, you want to snap it onto the gold ring you see at the top of the picture. And, don't worry about the bumpstops you see in the pic, that was something I tried that didn't work for me (I damaged my Koni's), just use the stock bumpstops and you'll be fine.
Attached Thumbnails Couple of questions on Koni's-koni-20bumpstop.jpg  
Old 03-10-2006 | 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I thought. I am sure if i looked under the car i woulda known to keep it on. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions on Koni's