Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

*creeking form rear suspension*

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *creeking form rear suspension*

when i hit a speed bump or pothole, or when i turn hard left or right i hear this strange creeking niose from the rear suspension. seems like its in the upper part around the shocks and springs, on both passenger and driver side rear. its getting really annoying, please help me fix this. thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check rear sway bar endlinks and bushings. If they are worn out, replace them. You might also check your rear exhaust hangers. They've been known to clunk in the same fashion as well.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Ive got the same thing but in my front end sometimes but not always. It happens when I turn too sometimes
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe stock shocks are bad
Old 03-10-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Check rear sway bar endlinks and bushings. If they are worn out, replace them. You might also check your rear exhaust hangers. They've been known to clunk in the same fashion as well.

This is exactly what I did when I had this problem. I ended up replacing the sway bar endlinks and bushings and the problem went away...
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Regular

If it's pretty much just a low frequency 'squeak' then it's the rear spring isolators. The rubber isolator at the top of the spring is notorious for squeaking when the weather turns cold. Anywhere from 50 degrees down I'd say.

You can either accept it as normal, or if you must fix it I'd say there are 2 things to try. 1) remove them and do the 'heater hose mod'. or 2) spray some white lithium grease or similar up there.

Even with #2, to do it right you'll want to unbolt your rear end and drop it far enough to get the spring unloaded. I am not sure if the sound is the spring on the rubber, or the rubber on the body. I think it's the rubber on the body, so you have to get the grease above the isolator.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jyeager
If it's pretty much just a low frequency 'squeak' then it's the rear spring isolators. The rubber isolator at the top of the spring is notorious for squeaking when the weather turns cold. Anywhere from 50 degrees down I'd say.

You can either accept it as normal, or if you must fix it I'd say there are 2 things to try. 1) remove them and do the 'heater hose mod'. or 2) spray some white lithium grease or similar up there.

Even with #2, to do it right you'll want to unbolt your rear end and drop it far enough to get the spring unloaded. I am not sure if the sound is the spring on the rubber, or the rubber on the body. I think it's the rubber on the body, so you have to get the grease above the isolator.
same problem when cold. it's gay as hell. i sprayed silicone spray up there and it went away for a while i think rain might have washed it away.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

do you have lower control arms? I have a creaking sound and it started when i installed a set of tubular lower control arms....
Old 03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mulletwearingtadrive
do you have lower control arms? I have a creaking sound and it started when i installed a set of tubular lower control arms....
Not to frustrate you, but if you installed tubular arms with poly bushings, they need some lubrication, and even then, they are notorious for other problems as well, such as "cold flow" or "creep" (the eventual plastic deformation of the material, caused by several types of stresses including "temporary" elastic deformation stresses). No matter how much you lubricate the poly bushings, they will sooner or later undergo this phenomenon. Bear in mind that this is more of a problem with polyurethane as a bushing and less of it as a mount (engine, transmission, and/or torque arm mounts).

It's also known that they will cause excessive binding in about any bushing area, but for the rear LCA's and PHB, these areas are critical to the manoeuvering of the rear axle. If you are a dedicated drag racer, then yes, the bind is very useful, but for the street, AX and/or RR, they're counterproductive for handling.

For these reasons, many choose to stick with stock stamped LCA's then upgrade with improved bushings in the rear.

Just some FYI
Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

My whole rear suspension is end links, I have endless squeaks, rattles, bangs.

Quick Reply: *creeking form rear suspension*