Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA's, panhard??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LCA's, panhard??

Lookin to pick up some lca's and a panhard rod

My question is, for what purpose would i need them to be adjustable?

i don't have any plans to lower the car, and its mostly going to be a strip car.
I want to improve my launch, gain some traction. So can i just get the non adjustable pieces without feeling like i could have done more?

thanks guys
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Launching!

If I am not mistaking the adj. panhard bar is there for adj. your axle a bit not sure. Lots of people get them to make 315´s fit I know if I get mine I´ll go with the adj. one. Don´t know about the adj.control arms. Hope I could help you.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

A adj. panhard is a must if you lower your car. When lowered, the body of the car sits closer to the rear axle, hence the length of the panhard will be shorter. If not adj., the rear axle will shift to the left (driver side). Adj. LCA are really only helpful if you have a true drag car, if not a heavy dragster, non adj. LCAs will do just fine.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by N01SS
Lookin to pick up some lca's and a panhard rod

My question is, for what purpose would i need them to be adjustable?

i don't have any plans to lower the car, and its mostly going to be a strip car.
I want to improve my launch, gain some traction. So can i just get the non adjustable pieces without feeling like i could have done more?

thanks guys

I would use the non adjustable lower control arms. The only time I use the adjustable version is if someone is running a large slick or drag radial and need extra room to the front of the rear tire well. As for the panhard rod if you plan to never lower the car a non adjustable unit will work fine. If plan to lower the car you will need the adjustable one. Let me know if you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help....

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

definatley get the non adj torque arm if keeping the same rear, this will be the greatest gain from you stock setup. makes the car fell really planted.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have adjustable rod/poly Spohn LCA and PHB in my Formula.
It came in handy for alignment.
(The rear was a bit off with the stock stuff.)

Funny thing is that I had to convince the guy to do a 4-wheel alignment instead of just a front-wheel alignment. I had givin him a spec sheet with the specs I wanted and note on it that I wanted a 4-wheel alignment due to new adjustable components. He wasn't going to adjust the rear insisting that my car didn't have anything that could be adjusted in the rear (he didn't even look). I then told him to look for himself because I replaced the LCAs and PHBs with adjustables myself. He was a nice guy though and did the job right. He probably just thought that I didn't know what I was talking about. Mechanics hear all sorts of stories from people.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-15-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone!

I guess i'll go with the non adjustable...i have no plans to lower the car at all, my exhaust is low enough as it is.

However as mentioned above, about the adjustable lca's and large tires...i do plan on getting some 15x10's with a 10.5 in tire, is that what constitutes 'large'? can i still run these with non adjustable's? and would relocation brackets essentially do the same thing?

thanks again!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would get the rod end/poly Spohn LCA and PHB. I find that the poly/rod end. Works well. With the rod end u get adjustablity for free.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fwiw, I just bought a used Spohn non adj. poly panhard rod and installed it. My car is not lowered and now my wheels are not centered anymore. The pass. side rear tire sticks out past the fender a little more than the drivers side. I think the panhard rod is a little shorter than stock. Now I gotta get an adj. one anyway. I'd get an adj. one.