Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coil over question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coil over question

Who makes coil overs for T/A's and what is the choice type of coil over to go along with eibach sportline springs. Also, I would love some coil overs that could adjust the stiffness in the car. I have seen my friend's sti with tein coil overs that could adust the ride stiffness while driving, but i wasnt sure if this was offered for T/A's. Any feedback would help, thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

the only TRUE coilovers are by LG Motorsports. You can also get a coilover like setup from ground control. and trust me when i say, you don't want either matched with sportlines....besides, its pointless, you can already adjust ride height, you dont need a spring to lower.

do a search and a lot of stuff will come up
Old 03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Konis are good shocks you can adust the stiffnesss with them.

I recently made a post about coilovers. Do a search on my name.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ok sweet, thanks alot, i will do a search
Old 03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want coil overs get the ground control set up. 360.00$ from the WS6store. You can pick the spring rates and adjust the ride height. Springs keep the car of the ground. the stock rate is 290sh. I got 400 pound/inch. lower 3/4 inch. If you want to go lower need more rate. With higher spring rate u need beter shocks. Get the konis. There are meny setup that use 500 or more lb/in spring rate. 150 lb/in for the back. If you get the konis the install gan be a little tricky.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
Who makes coil overs for T/A's and what is the choice type of coil over to go along with eibach sportline springs. Also, I would love some coil overs that could adjust the stiffness in the car. I have seen my friend's sti with tein coil overs that could adust the ride stiffness while driving, but i wasnt sure if this was offered for T/A's. Any feedback would help, thanks

There is only 2two true coil over kits thati know of. The LG coil over kit. And the qa1 coilover kit but its not ment for handling . Theses kit convert the rear suspension to a true coil over. The G/C coilover kit is just a spring with threads that can be adjusted to change ride height and keeps the rear suspension the same no converting. To have adjustablility like your freinds Tein setup you could run the LG coil over kit with some expensive shocks. But that will cost allot of money and will be over kill for non comptettion road race auto x car. Our run the ground control kit and Konis shocks. You can adust the ride height with the GC and you can adjut the shock dampining with the konis. If you dont need height adjustment you can run a aftermaket spring that is preset and run a koni shock and just adust the damping of your shocks.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, that helps alot. I will probably go with the koni da shocks w/o the lg coil kit cause i dont think i will need to adjust ride height. Will I be able to purchase the lg coil over kit later on and install if i change my mind?
Old 03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
Ok, that helps alot. I will probably go with the koni da shocks w/o the lg coil kit cause i dont think i will need to adjust ride height. Will I be able to purchase the lg coil over kit later on and install if i change my mind?

if you're driving on the street only (not full time racing), me as well as a lot of other people (including Sam Strano) will probably (me for sure) suggest the SA konis. they are built stronger and will last long then the DAs on the street.....but uhh, call up Sam Strano if you want expert opinion, he's a sponsor =======>
Old 03-17-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Birdman, you ought to perform a little more research as you are familiar with what parts you want, just not familiar with the manufacturer's packages. Sportlines are OE replacement springs, they aren't adjustible and aren't meant to be, in addition are horrible for performance. Koni's are adjustible shocks, SA single adjustible for rebound, DA for double adjustible, which adjusts rebound and compression. You say you want Koni DA's then want an G2 coil-over kit, which is a totally different kit from about anything else on this board. I know, because I have one. In all, this thread is turning into one mass ball of confusion because there are products being pushed, but rarely ever explained fully.

Does anyone else here have the G2 coil-overs? Does anyone here know the difference between a true coil-over or not? I can say that as long as the weight jackers are adjustible, it doesn't make much of a difference where the springs are mounted for that concern. I can also tell you that when it comes to whether or not the sleeve is threaded itself, or requires a retorfit sleeve really had little to do with it either.

There is a lot of confusion also when it comes to markets external to the 4th Gen f-body. Many are also being confused by the myriad of products available for the tuner market, but aren't really familiar with their quality.

My advice is to simply call Sam Strano and talk with him to get a much better understanding what parts really do what, and not what parts are "great" or "improves things." It doesn't make sense to spend 2000 to 3000 when simply 500-1000 will do the same for your requirements, and probably not that much either.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Birdman, you ought to perform a little more research as you are familiar with what parts you want, just not familiar with the manufacturer's packages. Sportlines are OE replacement springs, they aren't adjustible and aren't meant to be, in addition are horrible for performance. Koni's are adjustible shocks, SA single adjustible for rebound, DA for double adjustible, which adjusts rebound and compression. You say you want Koni DA's then want an G2 coil-over kit, which is a totally different kit from about anything else on this board. I know, because I have one. In all, this thread is turning into one mass ball of confusion because there are products being pushed, but rarely ever explained fully.

Does anyone else here have the G2 coil-overs? Does anyone here know the difference between a true coil-over or not? I can say that as long as the weight jackers are adjustible, it doesn't make much of a difference where the springs are mounted for that concern. I can also tell you that when it comes to whether or not the sleeve is threaded itself, or requires a retorfit sleeve really had little to do with it either.

There is a lot of confusion also when it comes to markets external to the 4th Gen f-body. Many are also being confused by the myriad of products available for the tuner market, but aren't really familiar with their quality.

My advice is to simply call Sam Strano and talk with him to get a much better understanding what parts really do what, and not what parts are "great" or "improves things." It doesn't make sense to spend 2000 to 3000 when simply 500-1000 will do the same for your requirements, and probably not that much either.

i was lazy and was hoping he was going to search or just call Sam.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
the only TRUE coilovers are by LG Motorsports. You can also get a coilover like setup from ground control. and trust me when i say, you don't want either matched with sportlines....besides, its pointless, you can already adjust ride height, you dont need a spring to lower.
With all due respect, man, its sometimes better not to post anything at all...