Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano sway bar review

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strano sway bar review

I've had my sway bars (front and rear) installed on my car now for about 2 weeks, and have been testing it on the road during that time. I've also been driving my g/f's bone stock '02 SS, taking it through some twisty roads and what not so I have something to compare to. The difference between her car and my car is very noticable. At first, I was a bit weary if the addition of bigger sway bars would affect the way my car handled to an extent that I would be able to "feel" the difference. After driving my car with the new bars installed, there was no doubt in my mind my money was well spent.

Compared to my g/f's car (which has only 12K miles), there is much less body roll when taking a turn or simply swerving back and forth as if going around obstacles. There is a nice turn close to my house that I like to take at speed and now I can take it faster than before without feeling like I was going to lose the rear. I would usually take it at ~60mph, this last time I took it at ~80mph (leather camaro seats didn't keep me planted too well at that speed). Don't worry, this was late at night with no other cars in sight.

The install is very straight forward, only thing is I had to enlarge the holes on the front sway bar bushing brackets so the bolts could fit. The supplied endlinks are much beefier than the stock units. I had both front end links fail in torsion when I was loosening the nut (stock ones) , I doubt this will be the case with the new ones. No clearance issues with either front or rear bars at all.

To be fair, the differences I noticed are not all due to the bars, I did recently install a set of Bilstein HD's on my car which also improved handling and ride quality. My g/f's car has the stock 32mm front (hollow) and 19mm rear (solid) bars. The Strano bars are hollow, 35mm for the front and 22mm for the rear. She also has the stock Decarbons.

Before the install, I made sure to weight each bar, with the exception of the rear Strano bar (anticipation was killing me during the install and I forgot). Stock are as follows:

Front: 9 lbs Rear: 5 lbs

Strano front bar: 14 lbs

Strano rear bar is also supposed to be 5 lbs. These figures were taken using our bathroom scale, so take them for what they are.

I now find myself wanting to take curvy roads more, to push my car closer to it's limits and boy is it fun. Overall, I'm very happy with the decision I made going with the shocks and sway bars. Thanks again Sam for your advice.

Here are a few pics comparing the two front bars.
Attached Thumbnails Strano sway bar review-front-sway1.jpg   Strano sway bar review-front-sway2.jpg   Strano sway bar review-front-sway3.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Here are the pics I took comparing the rear bars.
Attached Thumbnails Strano sway bar review-rear-sway1.jpg   Strano sway bar review-rear-sway2.jpg   Strano sway bar review-rear-sway3.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The proper size sway bars will get the job done all day. Enjoy.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Glad you like them... Pound for pound I think they are the best bars. I see Sam's changed the color, mine were a matt grey. I assume they are still made by Addco.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

May Spin, the invoice I got had Addco at the top of the page so I'm assuming they are. I was also expecting mine to be gray, but the black worked out even better since they match my car.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the good info, it helped me make my decision. thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Are they powder coated???

hopefully they are, much better for protection against rock chipping and such..
Old 04-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by H8 LUZN
Are they powder coated???

hopefully they are, much better for protection against rock chipping and such..
No they are not... Hotchkis makes a fine bar which is powder coated. The stockers weren't coated and never had a problem.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by May Spin
No they are not... Hotchkis makes a fine bar which is powder coated. The stockers weren't coated and never had a problem.
Guess i can always get them coated after i get them...

im more concerned with the correct rates than aesthetics
Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any other suspension mods?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Dom, I also have BMR tubular LCA's (rubber/poly), an adjustable PHB (rod ends), and BMR boxed SFC's. These components have been on the car much longer than the shocks/sway bars.

Quick Reply: Strano sway bar review