Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's with Stock Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta
No adjustment necessary, just move the clip down and put the spring perch back on. Simple and easy. I had a buddy of mine (the guy with the black Trans Am) who had the Koni SAs with stock springs on his car and he said his didn't sit like mine sat either. If you notice some cars sit different from the factory (mine was way up in the front and the back) so that may have something to do with it. With the Konis though the car sat down nicely.
Those Snipers look mighty fine on your ride (and the stance is just right also)!!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

hate to be a newb but i just talked to strano about gettin some konis but have never heard of the "lower purch and rear hose mod" if you dont mind explaining i would appreciate it. also i know the konis are adjustable but are you talking about adjusting them enough to make the car look lower? does this affect the ride and handeling for the track and street. thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by YouCantCmyZ28
hate to be a newb but i just talked to strano about gettin some konis but have never heard of the "lower purch and rear hose mod" if you dont mind explaining i would appreciate it. also i know the konis are adjustable but are you talking about adjusting them enough to make the car look lower? does this affect the ride and handeling for the track and street. thanks
The lower perch on the front Koni sa shocks will lower the ride height. the adjustable part changes the dampening of the shock and has nothing to do with the ride height. The rear springs have a spacer at the top that can be removed to lower the rear height a little. You will need to put a small piece of hose on the top coil to prevent metal to metal contact.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YouCantCmyZ28
The front Konis have two perch positions

The Koni shocks allows you to choose one of two spring perch heights. The spring perch just slides up and out of the way while you change the ring clip position. The slots are approximately 3/8" apart. Since the shock mounts only half way out along the lower control arm, the lever action on the control arm winds up being approximately 3/4" in ride height lower than stock.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

does the different perch positions affect the way the car rides or is it specifically for ride height?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly just ride height.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Ride height. You are not changing the spring rate by lowering the car by way of this perch. Ride will change from having much better shocks, but between the two perch heights you'd find little difference in ride.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Teching In

I just installed Konis from Mr. Sam Strano. Used stock springs with the lower perch and hose mod. Car now has the perfect stance IMO vs. the ugly stock stance.
Handling and ride quality is like night and day vs. the stock decarbons.
By removing the rear spring rubber spacers (isolators), actually got rid of a lot of bad squeaks. That itself was almost worth the install..lol

Sam, thanks for taking the time (near 1 hour) in helping me pick the setup I wanted. I am very pleased. Your customer service is top notch.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TJSZ
I just installed Konis from Mr. Sam Strano. Used stock springs with the lower perch and hose mod. Car now has the perfect stance IMO vs. the ugly stock stance.
By removing the rear spring rubber spacers (isolators), actually got rid of a lot of bad squeaks. That itself was almost worth the install..lol

Sam, thanks for taking the time (near 1 hour) in helping me pick the setup I wanted. I am very pleased. Your customer service is top notch.
What settings are you using on your Koni's? Did you try other settings?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My pleasure, and it's times/notes like this that make me want to spend that kind of time with customers.

Not too bad. Quieter, better riding, better handling and better looking! Amazing what a set of shocks can do, ain't it?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Exactly Sam, makes the higher price tag on Koni's much easy to justify IMO. Not to mention the warranty....Keep up the good work.

Dan, I have them on full soft setting like most run on the street. Anything short of actual track time, I can not imagine turning them up much. Might play around with settings later on. Right now I am just really enjoying as is. Car feels new again....
Old 04-11-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How hard is it to adjust the Koni's?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Exactly Sam, makes the higher price tag on Koni's much easy to justify IMO. Not to mention the warranty....Keep up the good work.

Dan, I have them on full soft setting like most run on the street. Anything short of actual track time, I can not imagine turning them up much. Might play around with settings later on. Right now I am just really enjoying as is. Car feels new again....
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear how happy you are with that setup. I'll be running the same setup soon. I talked to Sam a month or so ago and he recommended this to me, but I wanted to see how much lower it would be with the lower perch and hose mod. Look like the best of both worlds to me. Are you still using the stock sway bars or did you get some of Sam's?

Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Stock sway bar is in use, although I need new poly bushings ASAP. Noticed how bad the originals looked during the shock install.

Marc, the front Koni adjust via a small window at the top of the shock. You use a small allen wrench or something similiar to turn a dial. Front tires need to be off to make it easier. The back shock adj via turning a small adjuster on the top of the shock tower bolt. Real easy once you cut a small hole in your carpet right above the shock.

Do a search for Koni install. There is a really good write up from a Canadian member on the specifics of the install. Step by step pics are included that should help answer some of your questions in more detail.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I never take the front tires off to adjust. A lot of the time I can even do it with a car on the ground. But worst case you just need to jack the car up to create more wheel-gap. Rears use a **** if you run the 4th gen rear shock. The less expensive 3rd gen rear shocks (which work very well, I have them on my car) has to be removed for adjustment.

Shocks are the biggest change you can make. Bars are next. I really encourage you to think abou better bars and not just a bushing change if you want more. And while the stock bushings look ratty, they actually are quite durable and would be very surprised if they are worn out.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Yeah your right Sam, simply jacking up the front end makes a lot more sense that taking a tire off. My mind was in freeze mode.
Stock sway bar bushings were eaten up pretty bad, but still usable. Apparently a lot of sand/small rocks became wedged under and around the bushings. Pitted them out and and casued about 1/4 of the material to be eaten away on 1 or 2 bushings.

BTW, how did the event in Arkansas go?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The events went pretty well. I won them both over some pretty good competition. But we had some car breakage. I broke a brake master cylinder and a friend fragged a rear end in his car..... But the weather was good most of the time (only had to dodge Tornadoes once), the people there are very nice too. It was refreshing to see that. I actually had a guy get out of his truck to start pumping gas, he heard I have a diesel and when he realized he was at the diesel pump, he got back in, moved to let me have the pump and went to another one. I was floored that folks like that still existed, and it made my week to know they still do...... in Arkansas.

Quick Reply: Koni's with Stock Springs