Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Granatelli Lowering Springs ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Granatelli Lowering Springs ?'s

To anyone who has or knows about Granatilli lowering springs.

I'm looking to get the 1.25" drop springs front and rear. My car currently looks like a 4x4. I'm wondering if these will work ok with the original shocks until I can afford to get new ones. Or is the ride going to be to stiff?

Is the 1.25" going to be enough? Opinions please...

Am I going to need to do anything else? Adjustments, anything?

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to suspension stuff. I've also tried the search, however, I only found one Granatelli thread.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem with being a noob as everyone here was one at one point, now for my .02:

In all due respect, I see two things that I disagree with from a scientific perspective:

1. Springs that promise a 1.25" ride height but don't have readily available spring rate numbers. I think that 1.25" is quite okay, but nevertheless if you install them on OE shocks or some sort of "upgrade" OE replacement (Bilstein yellows, Koni yellows, KYB, Tokico, etc.) you lower your suspension travel considerably, so it becomes important to properly dampen the springs oscillation, which not only helps with better suspension control but also provides decent comfort. Even though you know ride height, you don't have an exact number of the spring rates used, only the spring rate type which leads to my second perspective:

2. Springs that mention progressive spring rates. While progressive spring rates can have their place in certain motorsport venues, they certainly don't help with a daily driver car with respect to comfort as much of the propaganda promises. Since there is a sort of "progression" of rate as the spring compresses and rebounds, this makes it very difficult for most OE replacement shocks (even some of the bling bling cheapo import/tuner coil-overs have problems with this) to properly dampen at the respective spring travel interval, e.g. a spring rate with a progressive range of 120-190 (slighty exaggerated) will progress from 120 @ Hmax to 190 @ Hmin there will be all sorts of rates between the range, therefore will be very hard properly dampen throughout by using one of the shocks I listed in the first reason. Boiled down, there really is no comfort to be gained by using progressive rate springs, only problems with damping which can lead to decreased performance and comfort, and again, there are no spring rates listed on the website, so that means you either have to call and hope they will tell you, you'll have to order then go to the hassle of spending money and time looking for a shop that has a spring dyno just to figure out the best method of properly dampening the spring. That's way too much trouble for a spring that is being sold on the basis of having progessive rates.

Whenever choosing a lowering spring and/or a spring with a higher rate, you will need to have proper shock valving to effective control the spring oscillation. The lower the spring and/or the higher the spring rate the more dampening is needed. FWIW, I discourage many daily-drivers who will only AX part-time to lower more than 1". Like the reason mentioned above, it's nice to get the car lower to the ground, but as you go lower, several other aspects of other suspension parts must be considered as well, but I will further my details as the thread progresses.

My suggestion, if you want to lower your ride height and/or improve performance while maintaining comfort and reliability, you should do it right the first time. By saying this, wait out your decision and see what responses come along. A person who I recommend to talk to over the phone would be Sam Strano as he has a multitude of items that he has for sale and can easily recommend a decent solution that will fit your budget and your needs.

EDIT: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/478970-shop-open-but-i-m-goin-racin.html

Just noticed that he will be away for a couple of weeks, so you might not be able to have all of your questions answered right away but at least the shops still open to sell parts and answer some questions.

Last edited by Foxxton; 04-03-2006 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Lowering Springs ?'s