Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA users: how's the ride like at full soft with the factory springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni SA users: how's the ride like at full soft with the factory springs?

With my '02 Z28, I'll be doing 95% non-spirited (mature) street driving and 5% drag racing. I want to keep my factory Z28 springs. I want the Koni SA's for the front so that I can use its lower spring perch. I'm also extremely lazy and don't want to play with the Koni SA settings. I just want them at full soft. How's the ride like at full soft with the factory springs? Are they already at full soft from the factory? Does anybody know how much they cost as a set with 3rd gen Bilstein HD's in the rear? Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited by damon_Z; 04-08-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do tell you that with the G2 Supersprings and full soft it feels like you are driving around in a car with cut springs. At night the headlights will be bouncing up and down. So I say it can only be worse with factory springs.

But maybe I am wrong.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, its not that bad at all. I drive with mine on full soft or near full soft almost all the time now. I think the stock springs make it not get quite as soft, but I don't know too much about this. I do know though that I wouldn't mind getting springs that let them get a little softer for drag racing. They drive great this way though...you lose a little stiffness/handling, but get better ride quality and better weight transfer on launches.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by matts22
No, its not that bad at all. I drive with mine on full soft or near full soft almost all the time now. I think the stock springs make it not get quite as soft, but I don't know too much about this. I do know though that I wouldn't mind getting springs that let them get a little softer for drag racing. They drive great this way though...you lose a little stiffness/handling, but get better ride quality and better weight transfer on launches.
That's what I want. There's no doubt in my mind that better ride quality and better weight transfer is more important than stiffness/handling when the car is used mostly for street driving and occasional drag strip use. It's not like I'm gonna go drift racing, autocrossing, road racing, or doing something stupid like taking public street corners or highway ramps at 80 MPH. What settings were your Koni SA's on right out of the box?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I do tell you that with the G2 Supersprings and full soft it feels like you are driving around in a car with cut springs. At night the headlights will be bouncing up and down. So I say it can only be worse with factory springs.

But maybe I am wrong.
Sadly you are

Stiff springs require more dampening in the shock. I also have G2 springs, and run 5 sweeps up front, and 1 turn un the rear (both from full soft). Ride is nice and handling is great.

Stock springs are softer and require less dampening. I would guess that full soft with stock springs would be close to the DeCarbon ride, but with better spring control. In many ways Koni's ride better than the stock shocks.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by damon_Z
That's what I want. There's no doubt in my mind that better ride quality and better weight transfer is more important than stiffness/handling when the car is used mostly for street driving and occasional drag strip use. It's not like I'm gonna go drift racing, autocrossing, road racing, or doing something stupid like taking public street corners or highway ramps at 80 MPH. What settings were your Koni SA's on right out of the box?
I'm not sure what they came at, but they are so easy to adjust that it doesn't matter. It seriously only takes a couple minutes, even with them on the car.

98_1LE - you are right. If I had to do it over again (or I might change it in the future) I would upgrade the springs as well. The ride is fine, as the Konis are much better than the stock DeCarbons, but I'm not getting the full softness that I would like. Ideally, and I know this isn't possible, I would like them to loosen up like a drag shock on full soft, and on full hard (or close to it) be like it is riding now on full soft. I don't know how to get this done though. I just don't need the hard setting because I don't autocross, but I like the reliability of the Konis (and ride quality) vs a gas shock, which is why I bought them.

Does anyone know how I could come closer to getting what I want out of these shocks? Like maybe changing springs, etc?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
Sadly you are

Stiff springs require more dampening in the shock. I also have G2 springs, and run 5 sweeps up front, and 1 turn un the rear (both from full soft). Ride is nice and handling is great.

Stock springs are softer and require less dampening. I would guess that full soft with stock springs would be close to the DeCarbon ride, but with better spring control. In many ways Koni's ride better than the stock shocks.
Exactly. I ride stock springs on the lower perch with Koni SAs on full soft all around, and my front swaybar isn't connected right now, and my car rides and handles very well. I can dial the shocks up for better handling, but I keep them on full soft because it still handles so well and the ride is so nice. I'd HIGHLY recommend this setup for what you're looking for. I've been through four different suspension setups and this has been on the car longer than the others, and I finally have a setup under the car that I dont plan on ever changing. Couldn't be more happy with the suspension.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want softer than what you have you might look into the SLP Level 1 kit with the SLP Eibach springs, SLP Bilsteins, 1LE front bar, PHB & LCA's. Or just get the springs.

The front bar generally does not affect ride, unless one wheel is loaded and one is not. Basically going over a speed bump, the bar is free to rotate as the suspension is evenly compressed, but if one wheel hits a pothole and one does not, the sway bar is twisted adding to the effective spring rate.

That said, other than shocks, a huge/stiff front sway bar is next best handling mod besides race tires or a pro driver.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didnt read what the others said but Koni's are simply waaay better dampers than stock shocks. They really do perform better and ride better... simultaneously... rare that you dont have to compromise one for the other... but thats why they cost more.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Matts22

please dont tell people to konis as drag shocks. U dont like them dont tell other to use them.

Damon
If you want a drag car use QA1. If you want the car to handle use the konis. The rate is to high on the konis to transfer weight.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Matts22

please dont tell people to konis as drag shocks. U dont like them dont tell other to use them.

Damon
If you want a drag car use QA1. If you want the car to handle use the konis. The rate is to high on the konis to transfer weight.
When did I ever tell people to use Konis as drag shocks? I just said I was looking for a way to make them a little better for weight transfer at the strip. They are a good handling, good ride shock...I know that...but they are also a multi-purpose shock. If you are drag racing a lot, get drag shocks, OBVIOUSLY. If you have a street car that sees the strip occasionally, I suggest Konis, as will Sam Strano. Just depends on how you use your car.

Don't accuse me of stuff I didn't say, or you're gonna **** me off.

Quick Reply: Koni SA users: how's the ride like at full soft with the factory springs?