Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension gurus come in

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension gurus come in

ok just got done with torque arm and panhard rod install yesterday and took car for a ride. came back and it clunked we found that the y pipe is just barely hitting the crossmember for torque arm, no big deal, double checked to make sure everything is tight and it was. i took the car out last night and noticed that in a curve if you give it gas it wants to pull one way if you let off the gas i wants to pull the other way. i do have big and litttles on the car but it did not do this before the torque arm and panhard rod install. my rear suspension is all UMI. i have the tunnel mounted torque arm, single adjustable panhard rod, and the poly/poly lca's and relocation brackets. it almost feels like the rearend wants to come out from under the car. any ideas on what could be causing this? is my suspension binding?
Old 04-09-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check the panhard rod adjustment and make sure the differential is centered in the chassis.

If it is not centered, it tends to 'rear steer' the chassis.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

also have a detroit locker in the rear, would that have anything to do with it
Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might have a little influence on tracking while under power, if the tire pressures are not equal.....

..... it could also have some influence if the 'dove tails' are a tooth off. Meaning, if it didnt "reset" (ya know, the big bang while going straight) if may be loading one tire and wanting to turn the chassis.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

tire pressure is equal. i don't know what the hell is going on. i'll try to call UMI and detroit tomorrow and see what is going on.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

The first thing to check would be the relocation brackets. If the vehicle is at stock height and you have the control arms in the lowest hole you might be getting some over steer. Try adjusting the control arms up one notch and try that. The relocation brackets on a stock height car with a locker and skinnies definatly isn't going to be a handling vehicle.

The other thing is make sure the relocation brackets are welded in correctly and not to far back or foward. You could measure the tire distance in the fender well of each side and make sure the rear is sitting equal on both sides.

Also did you reinstall the rear sway bar?

PM me if I can help anymore. Thanks

Ryan
Old 04-09-2006, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Ryan thank you for chiming in. i will try the next hole up in the relocation brackets. yes i agree i don't have a handling car anymore but it sucks when the car tries to change lanes on a curve when you give it a little throttle or let out of it. the rear sway bar is on the car. also are you open Friday this week? if so i may be up to get adjustable LCA's because the rear doe sit a little to the rear. i noticed that after the new wheels and tires went on the car. i'll keep you posted on what i find out. again thank you.