Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are there better Rod Ends out there for UMI LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are there better Rod Ends out there for UMI LCAs?

Getting ready to take them off, their soooooooo noisey and only been on the car for 2000 miles at the most, just put the insurance back on it. Forgot how bad they were =(.

Had to take my mom to the doctor today and she kept asking if that was normal.

So can the rod ends be replaced with poly bushings or are there better ones out there that will not rattle 24/7?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

As far as I know qa1 rod ends are the best.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are they suppose to start rattleing that soon? Would lubricating them help quiet the nice down?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:37 AM
12 Second Club

yes, lubrication definatly will help keep down the wear and tear. With something like that you should def. check it out and keep them lubed. If anything, give them a call and they might be able to help you out.

Ski
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure that UMI is using the QA1 XMR/XML series rod ends. They are very good ends, but like any solid connection (without rubber bushings), they can become noisy. Those are some of the most popular rod ends for our LCA's and PHB's. While not perfect, they are very good. You can buy more expensive rod ends that might be a bit quieter for longer, but you are quickly headed towards $75 per end (4 for the LCA's, 2 for the PHB, that will get expensive).
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those seemed to have loosened up pretty early. You must have have some really bad roads.
Hawk
Old 04-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet another person not happy with rod ends (including me). Rough roads or not, mine made noise after the first 500 miles (QA1 ends), and steadily got worse over the next couple thousand until I couldn't stand it anymore. For daily driving, my car rides on poly. If I ever get the inclination to road race or auto-x, I'll gladly put rod ends back in. For everything else, I'd never recommend them.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Meent are you using the same bar but with the poly on both sides? I remember someone said their available. So you can swap out the rod end side with an adustable poly.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Monello
Meent are you using the same bar but with the poly on both sides? I remember someone said their available. So you can swap out the rod end side with an adustable poly.
Negative...I just bought all new pieces. I did rod/rod first, didn't like them, bought poly/rod next...better, but still no dice. I decided on the poly/poly, and like them. The other ones are laying around somewhere.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I know what you mean.
My car sounds like I have an industrial popcorn machine in the trunk.
(rough roads)
I dont know for sure where the noise is coming from though, but its probably a combination of things (worn shocks, worn rod ends, possibly loose torque arm).
Old 04-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'd venture a wild guess that it is all in the LCAs and PHR. I've heard people on here say time and again "Quality rod-ends will not make any noise." And they think it is especially true for the panhard rod since it doesn't receive much in the way of shock loading (or so they say). I'll call bullshit on it until I'm blue in the face.

Yeah, I'm picky. But they're deaf. Or in denial.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd venture a wild guess that it is all in the LCAs and PHR. I've heard people on here say time and again "Quality rod-ends will not make any noise." And they think it is especially true for the panhard rod since it doesn't receive much in the way of shock loading (or so they say). I'll call bullshit on it until I'm blue in the face.

Yeah, I'm picky. But they're deaf. Or in denial.
I find PHB's to be perfectly quiet at first and eventually I'll hear a very light "noise" from them over broken pavement. But, I can't say I really notice it or that it bothers me. I find that they make very little noise when they do make noise. However, everyone's threshold of acceptable noise is different. And my car still has stock exhaust.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by trackbird
I find PHB's to be perfectly quiet at first and eventually I'll hear a very light "noise" from them over broken pavement. But, I can't say I really notice it or that it bothers me. I find that they make very little noise when they do make noise. However, everyone's threshold of acceptable noise is different. And my car still has stock exhaust.
Very true. Even with my non-stock exhaust, I'm just really, really picky when it comes to stuff like that. It doesn't help that the parking lot at my office is pretty much all broken pavement, so I get to hear it coming and going

Oh well...live and learn I suppose
Old 04-13-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aurora Rod ends are top quality then National..... The Aurora's will be arounf 60 bucks each not to sure about the Nationals...The noise is just a trade off that you'll have to deal with......be most worried about the spot welds on the underside of the car...
Old 04-13-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Well i have about 50 miles on my rod end LCA's... i'll keep you updated.. it'll prolly be the end of the summer before i get 2k on them though...
Old 04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought double rod ended lca's and pan hard bar @2yrs and 6000 miles ago from badz. yes there is noise. ive found to keep it to a minimum the rod end must be install perfectly perpindicular to the bushing they are on. otherwise you limit its travel in one dirrection and it hits the bushing quicker. also the mounting bolts must be and i repeat must be tight! more than the factory torque specs if you ask me. ive been toying with the idea of going poly on the chasis end but only if i can find one to thread into my bar.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

I just bought some from LG Motorsports and they are excellent quality. Of course, the price sucks (70+) but they got rid of the noisy clunk, clunk.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have more than 12000 miles on mine, and (fingers crossed) still safe and at least noise free to the point where unsuspecting occupants aren't aware of them, and both my track F-bod and my street f-bod have a complete rod ended PHB and LCA's with rod end on the axle end itself.

I think that the two others that are having the problems with the noise is mostly due to the climate they live in. No doubt that these rod ends are indeed "race type" items being used for the street as they are intended mostly for performance and ease of replacement and less with comfort and longevity (which is more of a unintended convenience included by the quality of the design and not so much designed for that). When you live in climates that yield lots of moisture, dirt, and harsh temperatures, there is little doubt that the rod ends will have a significantly decreased life compared to a merely dry and moderate climate with very little road dust.

I will say that for the body side, there is an option of using a "screw-in" rubber bushing, which is what I use, though depending on LCA rod length, they may or may not be viable.

Even though QA1 may discourage those from using this, I do know that UMI and some hardware stores do sell a spray with PTFE in it that will not leave behind any waxy, oily, or moist residue on rod ends or other sperical bearings. It's called Super Lube and I use it because I am not only running rod ended LCA's and a PHB, but my motorsport shocks have spherical bearings as well, though I will note that they are Aurora brand bearings and have shown no signs of excessive wear either (fingers crossed again), so the spray isn't being used there, yet.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Foxxton
I have more than 12000 miles on mine, and (fingers crossed) still safe and at least noise free to the point where unsuspecting occupants aren't aware of them, and both my track F-bod and my street f-bod have a complete rod ended PHB and LCA's with rod end on the axle end itself.

I think that the two others that are having the problems with the noise is mostly due to the climate they live in. No doubt that these rod ends are indeed "race type" items being used for the street as they are intended mostly for performance and ease of replacement and less with comfort and longevity (which is more of a unintended convenience included by the quality of the design and not so much designed for that). When you live in climates that yield lots of moisture, dirt, and harsh temperatures, there is little doubt that the rod ends will have a significantly decreased life compared to a merely dry and moderate climate with very little road dust.

I will say that for the body side, there is an option of using a "screw-in" rubber bushing, which is what I use, though depending on LCA rod length, they may or may not be viable.

Even though QA1 may discourage those from using this, I do know that UMI and some hardware stores do sell a spray with PTFE in it that will not leave behind any waxy, oily, or moist residue on rod ends or other sperical bearings. It's called Super Lube and I use it because I am not only running rod ended LCA's and a PHB, but my motorsport shocks have spherical bearings as well, though I will note that they are Aurora brand bearings and have shown no signs of excessive wear either (fingers crossed again), so the spray isn't being used there, yet.
Agreed...I think climate plays a big role. Lots of sand, salt water, and moisture in general down here.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I remembered which brand of LCa's i bought but they are dual rod. On the highway they are fine. But around town.. on uneven pavement.. it sounds like it is shaking the trunk loose or the t-tops are falling out lol.

I thought it may have been the exhaust or something.. I got a poly tranny mount.. so I no longer hear that clunk on hard accel...

Though there is no noise at stop lights.. so kinda ssumed it isnt the exhaust..

pretty much leaves the dual rod lca's.. I heard the dual poly suck for cornering.. they arent any worse for cornering over the stock lca's are they?

Quick Reply: Are there better Rod Ends out there for UMI LCAs?