Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Diamond Slotted Cut Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Slotted Cut Rotors?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...001077/c-10101

Another gimmick like drilled rotors or not?

Discuss.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A

Discuss.

It's a bit gimmicky. The only benefit of the diamonds is that they have a more gradual angle where they meet the rotor facing. So, it could reduce stress at the "hole"/rotor facing interface. The negative side of that is the angle in the bottom of the diamond that gives them their diamond shape. That may be a location for stress cracks to form.

The good news is that they didn't slot the rotors completely off of the rotor facing (a great place for cracks to start). And, they look to have even left a rounded end on the slots (I can't tell if the bottom is ball milled or if it's just channeled out).

I'd still buy Brembo OEM's or another good quality rotor. These are not going to be any more or less "magic" than any other drilled/dimpled/slotted/etc rotors. Unless you happen to really like the look of those (and consider such things to be very important), I'd pass on them.

My thoughts.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A

Discuss.
For looks, that's debatable.

For performance, just avoid them and go for a quality blank and really quality pads. Like trackbird will say, if one has to decide to spend more money for one component over another, I will choose to spend more for the pads than the rotors. The rotors are important, but many will spend much money on rotor features including but not limited to face patterns, cryogenic treatments, and pseudo floating rotor systems to improve an otherwise stock system and will neglect the importance of the pad compound, which is a significant determinant for the friction needed to yield better braking.

Even the high performance luxury and sports vehicles practically never tout these features as "performance enhancing", but always offer them as some sort of "appearance package." Even the new porsche 911 turbo ad touts their PCCB rotor's cooling abilities through good ventilation and completely disregards their cross-drills. That alone caught my eye.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't buy them but I thought i'd post them because I had never seen them talked about on here before. Must be fairly new.

Quick Reply: Diamond Slotted Cut Rotors?