Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much to install springs and Hals

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006 | 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default How much to install springs and Hals

I am having a set of Hals put on all four corners...and the Hal front springs and stockers are going back on the rear. For the R & R and to set pinion angle how much do you think this should cost and how many hours to do it?

Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 04-23-2006 | 07:22 PM
On The Tree

I changed out the springs on the rear of my car myself but for the fronts I didn't even try. I just took it to a local shop and they charged me 100 bucks to install the fronts. I'm sure if you ask around you could get better deals. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2006 | 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told 5.2 hours to change out the shocks and springs on all four corners....does that seem a bit long to you guys?

They want $450 for that.
Old 04-23-2006 | 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

$450 is a lot of $$ in my opinion.

The rear is no challenge at all and you can do it in your garage, it takes less than an hour. The fronts are a little difficult because you need to take apart the whole spring/strut assembly (can be dangerous and challenging if you are not experienced with suspension) but still...I don't think I'd pay more than $250 tops for someone else to do it.
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike#9
I was told 5.2 hours to change out the shocks and springs on all four corners....does that seem a bit long to you guys?

They want $450 for that.
IMHO, that's quite steep, and actually twice what even two GM dealerships quoted me.

Here's some links to get an idea of how it's done:

Front: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6
Rear: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8

I would like to note that for the rears concerning the top shock mount points, I find it unecessary to go through the trouble of folding back all of the rear carpet covering since there are two square "flaps" that are merely sown shut from the factory. If you're really careful, you can take an x-acto knife or some type of similar razor, cut open the stiches, fold back the square flaps, then temporarily remove the foam and you're right at the shock tops. If your shop is going to work on the rears, this will be probably the best method since it will cut back dramatically on the auxilliary duty to be performed. For those with 4th gen Koni's, they opt not to sew those flaps back shut, since those are the places for rebound adjustment. I don't sew them back shut, because when the foam pads are replaced and the flaps are placed back down, they'll pretty much stay in place.
Old 04-24-2006 | 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

The rear shocks and springs are simple. The fronts aren't horrible as long as the upper shock mount isn't rusted too badly. Just get some locals to help you with it and save the money. I'm in Casselberry, but I don't have any experience with setting pinion angle.

I'm a bit confused by your post, though. You're putting HAL shocks on all four corners, then putting the HAL front springs on the rear with the OEM shocks? What springs are you putting on the front?
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimMueller
The rear shocks and springs are simple. The fronts aren't horrible as long as the upper shock mount isn't rusted too badly. Just get some locals to help you with it and save the money. I'm in Casselberry, but I don't have any experience with setting pinion angle.

I'm a bit confused by your post, though. You're putting HAL shocks on all four corners, then putting the HAL front springs on the rear with the OEM shocks? What springs are you putting on the front?
I am putting Hal shocks on all four corners...the Hal springs up front...and the stock springs in the back.
Old 04-25-2006 | 08:45 PM
On The Tree

If you put new springs and shocks on the front, is the job as hard, since you are not re-using the springs?
Old 04-25-2006 | 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, you still need to separate the upper shock mount from the shock pin to re-use the mount. If you care about convenience more than money, buy new upper shock mounts and you can completely assemble them before you take the old ones out. I don't know if the mounts can be purchased individually, however.
Old 04-25-2006 | 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I paid 300, not because I wanted to but because I have no time to put them on myself, and have no where to put them on.

450 is a bit steep, I would shop around.
Old 04-26-2006 | 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should I make sure I go to a speed shop or is a auto shop ok. The 3 major speed shops in my area all told me $450...and it would take about 5.5 hours.
Old 04-26-2006 | 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

When I sold my 95TA, the shop charged me $250 to R&R the stock setup back on the car. That was an independent shop in Longwood.

You should try TreadAlign in Orlando. They are an alignment shop but the owner, Robert, says the labor to R&R front & rear would be $189, plus ~$70 for the alignment. He said the labor estimate from the other three shops was pretty close. I'll PM you his number...

Quick Reply: How much to install springs and Hals