Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Air ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride height is quite stable. Fill it with a tank of gas, set the car at what height you want and note the pressure in all of your bags. Go get your alignment and ta-da your car is setup. You have the ability to expieriment with different settings and heights with the air ride and once you find something that is comfortable, note the pressure readings and make sure to set it there after you're done playing with it.

As for the $1500 marker - Ride Tech's front air struts $995; Rear bags (F9000 sleeves) and brackets - $299

Thats putting you close before valves, tank, compressor, misc fittings, gauges, etc. I'm sitting here putting my gauges in my pod pillar right now so I don't think you have to worry too much about being a guinea pig

If you have any questions about my setup you're more than welcome to ask here in this thread for others to read or you can PM me. No one else seems to be sharing their information about their air ride so I don't mind! Bring it on.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Just found some pics of it going through the slalom.
http://www.ridetech.com/streetchalle...tchallenge.asp
Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Turbotko,
You are correct, if you adjust the air pressure too much it will affect your alignment and vehicle height. The designed ride height on the kit is about 1.5-2" lower than factory; this is where you will be the best ride quality and performance. If you lower the car too much you ride will become softer and your alignment will be off. If you raise it too much the ride will become stiffer and your alignment will be off. But adjusting it 5-10 psi either way from ride height won't affect the height of the vehicle much, but can affect the spring rate. This along with adjusting the shock valving on the Shockwave can be a very effective tuning tool.

Last edited by darren@ridetech; 05-03-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by darren@ridetech
We did some slalom testing with a 96 SS Camaro at the first Street Challenge event a couple years ago.Initial testing was done with performance aftermarket springs.
In all honesty it seems the weakest link in these cars suspension is the shocks not the springs. If you can tell us what shock was used then you might have a lot more interest. read around the forums and you will see that EVERYONE believes the stock shocks are Now if you were using aftermarket (if so what brand/specs) then you might be onto something!

Last edited by nebur8; 05-04-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's a good quote I picked from a road race/autox fbody specfic website from one of the members there. Kinda makes you realize theres a lot of other variables in the mix to consider about the faster times:

I will point out that the linked article compared the air suspension to a stock suspension. Kudos for actually doing it on the same car and accomplishing the installation during lunch, but improving on the stock suspension isn't that hard.

It would have been far more interesting to compare the air ride to at least a decent F-Stock autocross setup (Konis, a big front bar, and a proper alignment) or maybe a basic ESP setup (add lowering springs). BTW, no mention was made of alignment before and after.

Also, note that changing the front ride height changes the camber and toe. Over a small range, this might actually be desirable (higher with less negative camber and toe out for street driving, more when lowered for track use), but I wouldn't count on getting usable alignment over a big range of height. Changing the rear over a small range isn't that big a deal, but over a large range you may have axle-centering issues.

I would also want to know whether you are locked into using their shock at the front or can use your choice of off-the-shelf shocks. At the rear, you can clearly (based on the pictures) use whatever shock you choose, though getting the right valving might be an issue.

Now don't get me wrong - I've never tried an air suspension. It may be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm just pointing out some things that jumped out at me while reading the article. Those are topics I'd want to explore further before plunking down the cash.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Teching In

We did not change the rear shocks, I believe that were the factory shocks that came with the SS package. The alignment was set to stock specs. before and after; since the SS is lower than a standard Camaro ride height only changed about an inch, which shouldn't affect the alignment much.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alt
As for the $1500 marker - Ride Tech's front air struts $995; Rear bags (F9000 sleeves) and brackets - $299

Thats putting you close before valves, tank, compressor, misc fittings, gauges, etc.
It seems all the other parts are going to cost more than the bags.
What kind of price would ALL the parts cost?

Quick Reply: Air ride