Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What kind of Lateral G's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of Lateral G's?

I have a 2000 WS6. I am going to install Koni SA's at all 4 corners with hotchkis lowering springs, a set of Strano sway bars front and back, and a adjustable panhard rod. Also I will be running street tires(probably GS D3's) 315's out back and 275's up front on 17" wheels. How close will this get me to my goal of 1.00 lateral G's? Is it even possible on f-bodies intended for street use? Does any one have any experience with this on a similar setup? And lastly what do F-bods pull stock isint it like .88 or .92 depending on factory options?
Sorry for all the questions just really curious.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:18 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen .94 listed for stock. I've also seen .88. The latter being more commonly quoted. (but it's worth keeping in mind that people always underestimate these cars - even the owners/fans)

With some good, sticky tires, you can easily hit over 1G in stock trim.

I can't say how close you could get with those changes (and of course, different skid pads will result in different results too - many, many variables). But why not stuff 315s up front too? They'll fit.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure one of the racers can correct me on this, but at first blush, I'd think that the wider rubber out back, leading to a larger set of traction patches, would result in a car that pushed. Meaning you'd have to dial that out with the suspension components and end up losing some of the effectiveness of those wider tires. If you go wider up front, you have more absolute grip and don't have as much understeer to dial out by reducing the bite of the rear.

Plus, it would let you rotate your tires.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Im sure 315's all the way around would be best, but I am wanting to keep my car street friendly. I also im not a fan of how 315's look on the fronts unless the car is an all out autoXer or roadracer. I also am trying to make my car an all around performer that can hold its own on the street, strip, and corner carving. I guess im more curious than anything. I would also like to know how F-bodies stack up compared to other cars in the corners(i.e. Mustang GT/Cobra, STI, EVO, Supra, Challanger)?
Like I said im more curious than anything but if anyone has some answers for me that would be great.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

With just the better rubber you should be nearing 1 g in our cars. Like was stated different skid pads, weather, etc. can effect the numbers. With the mods you've listed I'm sure you'll be over 1 g. I have the 275's and a similar suspension setup and GS-D3's and it definately handles better.

Our cars handle a LOT better than most people think. Especially with the right tire and suspension upgrades.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires and sway bars dictate skidpad numbers.

When HPP tested my T/A with full suspension and 315 Kumho V700 Victoracers on all four corners, it averaged 1.23 (or 1.26, can't remember) for both directions.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

wow, I would not of thought F-bodies could pull those kinds of G's. A ZO6 is right at 1.02 stock so tires make a huge difference.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

For the record, that was the magazine, not me. lol

Yes, tires do make a huge difference. The single biggest difference in fact. They are the interface between your suspension and the road. That kinda makes them the most important suspension component.

However.... unfortunately it goes both ways. I'm not sure what a Z06 clocks in at, but let's assume it is just over a G. That's on stock all weather run flat tires. Put *it* on Victoracers and it'll jump ahead again.

I'd love to find a way to take an LS1 T/A beyond the maximum potential of a "normally" modded Z06. ("normally" meaning not tubbed, not a tube frame masquerading as a Z06, etc)

I know most would say that's impossible. And it may be. But it's still a fun goal to pursue.

What's the widest tire made? Maybe if I stuffed some 600's under some tubs and flares I might manage it.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

Z06 are one heck of an awesome car, always miles ahead of and F-body.

Quick Reply: What kind of Lateral G's?