Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Least expensive shock/strut combo OEM equivlanet or better

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Least expensive shock/strut combo OEM equivlanet or better

Hello all,

I have a '00 Z28 vert w/ 50k miles on it. Though I'm not terribly picky about it, I'm assuming the stock deCarbons are well past shot. I don't autocross, and I'm not a drag junkie. The car is a daily driver so pretty much I want good replacement shock/strut combo for a controlled ride and no wheel hop.

I may someday add SFC's or a tower brace, but that will be it. I won't be changing out any suspension links or anything like that, and as much as it pains many here, the car will never be lowered.

Having said all of that, what's the best overall bargain in shocks/struts to meet or provide a little upgrade from stock? Ride quality (harshness and damping) is very important to me. I don't want degraded ride quality. I've always felt Formula's had better ride quality than Z28's. My '93 Formula had much less impact harshness than all of the (95, 97, my 00) Z38's I've been in. So if someone knows why that is, I'd like to go in that direction.

Stockers seem to be about $240-300 for the set far as I can tell. So I know there are better options for that price.

Please advise.

Last edited by todddchi; 05-04-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with Monroe SensaTracs, they have a rebate now to I believe.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Monroe's suck, and I say that despite carrying the Monroe line. Bilstein HD's are around your price range.... just a bit more but you get way better shocks. $349/set of 4 and they will be the last shocks you buy if you indeed are wanting what you say you do.

FWIW, wheel-hop can be altered with shocks, but are not solely responsible for it.

And Formula's and Z28's don't differ. What did was the years of the cars, and the shock valving from GM changed over that time, and not for the better.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Sam. I thought Bilstein HD's were made for a stiffer spring rate though? Is this correct or did I just read an inaccurate post?

On the other thing I had a late '93 Formula in college, and two of my buddies had a 94 and a 95 z28. Stock to stock and w/ similar miles - their cars rode like hell, compared to that Formula, and they both agreed. I always thought the Formula was setup just enough softer that it was a much better compromise. I guess it was just tires or something.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

err...

sorry to interrupt, but that's incorrect. The off-the-shelve Bilstein HD's are indeed vavled for use with stock springs, and that's from their catalogue, their motorsports sales reps, and Sam himself.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Bilstein HD's are a benchmark standard for a quality damper, and are for stock spring rates as Fox has already mentioned. HD's would seem an excellent choice for you.... If funds allow now, I would SAVE the money that you would spend on SFC's and a STB and consider Koni SA's up front. You can pair them with 3rd or 4th gen Koni rears, or even HD's.

Scott.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by big johhny
Go with Monroe SensaTracs, they have a rebate now to I believe.
I used those on my pickup truck and I've been more than pleased, especially for the money.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really have no interest in SFC's and would only pick up a STB if I could get a used one dirt cheap at a boneyard or something.

Most of the things that bother me about the car are just inherent because it is a convertible with a pretty cheap interior. To that end I'm going to give the struts/shocks a try to calm things down a little bit first.

The car was $10k so I'm trying to keep what I put into on the reasonable side. Things that need replaced anyways are going to get much higher priority than pure upgrade items like SFC. Unless I can get a good deal on something used like the stuff i already got.

I appreciate the feedback and will go with the HD's when I get to it.

How hard are the fronts to do on these? I know rears are easy enough but I haven't done fronts since my 3rd gen...

Am I allowed to ask if Sam is one of the cheaper vendors? There are so many sponsors...
Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say from personal experience that Sam's prices are very competitive, if not the cheapest, however I feel that he remains largely unparalleled when it comes to customer service. When you run into problems, he makes great attempts to resolve it with the utmost efficiency, which he is almost always very successful at.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

well I dont want to start a new thread so ill just ask here, my cars a DD and weekend warrior really (can tell by mods) what shocks would u guys recommend for me im on a tight budget aswell (pulling $1xx a week in)
Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gun5
well I dont want to start a new thread so ill just ask here, my cars a DD and weekend warrior really (can tell by mods) what shocks would u guys recommend for me im on a tight budget aswell (pulling $1xx a week in)
I see your mods, however what will be your primary purpose with the vehicle?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last night I used the search and the horror stories about top mount to piston siezing has me totally spooked. The under car rust on my car is fairly bad, and I think I can pretty much depend on that being a problem.

What a fair carry-in install cost of having front struts put in? Should I just go ahead and buy new top mounts ahead of time?

Quick Reply: Least expensive shock/strut combo OEM equivlanet or better