Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Really LOUD squeak coming from the rear of the car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really LOUD squeak coming from the rear of the car!

I have a REALLY LOUD squeak coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like rubber rubbing against metal. It only happens when I go over speed bumps and is coming from the right rear side of the car. At first I thought it was my new panhard rod, but the bushings are all greased and the nuts are all tight. I don't think it's the poly swaybar endlinks, I had those put in last year to solve a squeak I had back then. I did have a set of Bilstein HD's and WS6 springs installed a couple weeks ago. Could the spring somehow not be sitting right in the spring perch or something of that nature?

I'm going to remove the spare tire and jack to see if they are causing any noises since they are in that general area.

This is really bugging me
Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

on mine sometimes my exhaust will rub on up against the pinch seam on the rear passenger side. just a suggestion
Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

check ur sway bar endlinks and your sway bar bushings, i had the same problem
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was the sway bar as well
Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

ditto on the sb bushings..
Old 05-05-2006, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Squeek

Do you have LCA's and PH bar?
If so, these are a good possibility as well. The LCA's could have not been torqued hard enough.

When you go to retorque the lca's. I suggest that you raise the back end of the car while you loosen the nuts. Then set the car on the ground, ensure that your panhard bar is adjusted (with locktite), and then with the phb adjusted to center, torgue those lca's with all the weight of the car. This tends to prevent preload, especially with poly bushings.... my 2 cents. Fixed my problem.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Just reread your post.
Yes, it is possible that the springs are sitting in there funny.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

The first thing to consider is the notorious upper spring isolator. It's nearly a universal complaint. Mine is all stock and has been exactly as you describe since it was new. It only happens when the ambient temp is below 60.

If you never had it before, it's likely that when the springs were changed that the isolators were 'cleaned' off resulting in this squeak.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jyeager
The first thing to consider is the notorious upper spring isolator. It's nearly a universal complaint. Mine is all stock and has been exactly as you describe since it was new. It only happens when the ambient temp is below 60.

If you never had it before, it's likely that when the springs were changed that the isolators were 'cleaned' off resulting in this squeak.
beat me too it.... had a squeak like that and found out that my spring didn't even have a isolator... metal on metal is no good
Old 05-07-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I can't find where this god forsaken squeak is coming from! It only occurs when I'm slowly going over a speedbump through a plaza, and it's really loud. It also happens from time to time if I got over a bump on the road at a certain speed, but rarely since road bumps don't have the up/down shape of a speedbump.

I removed my spare and jack to see if it was that, it wasn't. Now, I took my car to my mechanic to replace a bad valve stem, and had him look at the rear suspension while the car was in the air. They found one thing. The adjustable jamnut on the Hotchkis panhard rod kept coming loose due to it being a little large, so they grounded down the mount on the chassis side a little to make some room for it. Well, that wasn't making that squeak noise.

Also, I had Spohn LCA's with poly bushings and poly rear swaybar endlinks installed last year, keeping the stock rubber swaybar bushings. They where installed using a drive-on lift. The stock swaybar endlinks squeaked at first, but I replaced those with the poly ones and the noise went away.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I had the WS6 springs and Bilstein shock installed. That's when the loud squeak started. I had him use the isolator pads that came with the springs [bought them used], so they should be the stock pads from the WS6 they came off of. But I also still have the stock springs and pads from my car. Would greasing the pads do anything, or would that be a bad thing?

My mechanic agreed to take a look at the spring when I get time to take my car their next week. He also said if it comes down to it, he'll just check every damn bolt and tighten everything down.

I just had my 17" wheels installed last week with 275/40/17 Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval tires [awesome awesome tires btw]. Could the tires be rubbing somewhere causing the noise? I don't see how, since I'm running on factory WS6 wheels and not aftermarket. But still, thousands of people are running those size wheels and tires, and even bigger without problems. And the squeak was happening before the tires where installed when I had the factory 16" wheels with 245/50/16 Goodyear RSA's.

I have one last question. Could a bad shock be causing the squeak? I bought the Bilstein shocks brand new from Summit Racing, so I don't think they could be bad.

I'll tell my mechanic to recheck the LCA bolts, endlink bolts, and swaybar mounts.

Please help
Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
I have one last question. Could a bad shock be causing the squeak? I bought the Bilstein shocks brand new from Summit Racing, so I don't think they could be bad.
shocks don't squeak
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Teching In

wheel bearing?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

I had a wheel bearing go out on my truck a couple months ago, but it wasn't nearly as loud and made noises on all bumps, not just speed bumps. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to have him take a look at that too while he's at it.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Are you sure it is coming from under the car and not from inside somewhere?
I had a squeaking noise driving me nuts, turned out to be the back seat, rubbing up and down on the dowel or whatever it's called, that the back seat latches to. I fiannly found out what it was when I noticed if I had the back seat folded down, noise went away.

If the noise IS coming from the rear suspension, I would bet the sway bar bushings. Unbolt the bar from thr rearend, check the inside of those bushings and make they are lubed.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

My squeak came from the passenger side rear occasionally, especially over bumps, etc. at slower speeds. I replaced the rearmost exhaust hangers on both sides with brand new ones with no success. I ended up just removing the rear passenger side hanger and the squeak stopped for months. I just recently decided to put it back on and, guess what, the squeak has returned. I suppose I should find the time to get to the root of the problem rather than band-aid it! Probably not what it is in your case, but I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in. Good luck finding the squeak and getting rid of it, whatever it turns out to be from...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Your SFC's are causing it, positive. Mine did the EXACT same thing. Pull your lower control arms out on the front ends and grease the bushings with either moly or lithium grease. Also be sure to get the bolts tighter you can believe when you reattach the LCA's.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem and it was my shock , which the bolt was not tighten all the way from on top (took off the carpet and some foam pads to get to it).
i used my impact to tighten it to the max and noise was gone.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a weird squeak coming from the drivers side rear suspension, it happens while driving not just over bumps (just put new koni's and strano springs (on a ford 9") and i found the spring was squeaking on the spring cup on the rear end! When you push up on the spring it squeaks different. so i'm going to do the heater hose mod to the bottom of the spring....hopefully that fixes it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys I'm having really bad squeaks too, somewhere in the rear. Not metal to metal though, more like dry rubber (although I'm not pro in this). Car sounds like s***. I've made small video and on video it's even worse. What do you think that could be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgEDpr_VXk
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lubricated shock upper bushings with white lithium-based grease but nothing... Must be swaybar or LCA then?

Quick Reply: Really LOUD squeak coming from the rear of the car!