Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Techniques Sway Bar kit any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Techniques Sway Bar kit any good?

I am going to do another track event on the 20th at Talladega Grand Prix and wanted to get some bigger sway bars in the mean time. Anybody tried out this setup from Suspension Techniques:
http://www.lmperformance.com/830/1.html

The price is quite attractive but if they're crap... well I'll just wait. I'm kind of having a hard time spending $400 on a set.

Thanks,
Seth
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a solid part. They are heavy because they are solid. The consensus is that on most cars the 25mm bar will make the car a little looser than most people like. A friend of mine runs them, and like them. However, he sets up suspensions on Late Model cars and has some springs to compliment the bar.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I still sell them (and others).... The bars are excellent quality, good hardware. But they are very heavy, and the rear bar is WAY too big for a car with handling balance as a target. If they would have been the ticket, I'd not have gone through all the trouble of building my bar set.

What good is a cheap price (and ST's are cheaper than my bars are) if the stiffness is out of whack, and they weigh a ton?

A set of ST bars is a bit over 20 pounds heavier than a set of my bars (35 front/22mm rear). The rear bar, being bolted to the axle is all unsprung weight. My rear bar is lighter than GM's by about 4-5 pounds, and about 8 less than the ST rear. Unsprung weight is the enemy, it's worse than just adding weight to the car because it slows the reaction time of the wheels and makes things harder to control well.

Up to you, but if you want to save some money, what I'd do is simple. I'll sell you an ST front bar with a Addco solid 22mm rear bar. That's about $300 for the pair plus shipping. You'll get a better balance than with either a 35/25 kit, or a 32/21-22 kit. You save some bucks too.

But remember shipping for any solid bar is more because of the extra weight. A set of my hollow bars could be delivered to Atlanta for about $404. ST bars would be about $320 shipped. That's $84 difference. Not $284. Folks spend more than that difference on Chrome-Moly parts to save a lot less weight. And you get a set of bars with experience and SCCA championships behind the development.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see your point. OK, I am probably going to bite the bullet and just spend the 4 hondo on the Stranos. My wallett is still trying to recover from new tires!

Quick Reply: Suspension Techniques Sway Bar kit any good?