Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes failed while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes failed while driving

Just got another problem on my 95 lt1. At random times while driving my abs inop light will come on and will engage the abs system like you were already in a skid, making it very hard to stop. Sometimes when i go to stop it does the same thing which cuts my braking in half because it stays on which is scary as hell when theres traffic ahead. Anyone had this problem? I think it might be an abs wheel sensor.......any ideas?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

consider looking at your ABS module as well. That also could have gone bad.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
consider looking at your ABS module as well. That also could have gone bad.
I agree, ive had a bad sensor and its never done that before.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yup another vote for abs module......a sensor would not cause a problem like that
Old 05-07-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i guess i was a little tired last night and didnt think about it. I dont think it would effect all wheels if only it thought one wheel was skidding, so it must be something that effects the entire system. Im really gettin tired of this pos breakin. Anyone want an lt1?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

You might want to consider pulling the ABS fuse until you get that fixed. Then the ABS wont work at all so be careful.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a '95 bird that would do the same thing at times.It was weather related(that is,only in hot or cold...don't remember which) but GM issued a TSB on it saying it was a stickey part in some ABS motor thing.I looked in the service manual but since it wasn.t that bad, I left it alone...too complicated!!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Launching!

red95ssclone wrote: "At random times while driving my abs inop light will come on and will engage the abs system like you were already in a skid, making it very hard to stop. Sometimes when i go to stop it does the same thing which cuts my braking in half because it stays on which is scary as hell when theres traffic ahead."

Your car is dangerous to drive. Others on the road didn't sign-up to drive with another car out there having a significantly reduced braking capability. Take it to a dealer and get it repaired properly. It's a lot cheaper than body work to your car and yourself and dealing with lawyers for the family you hurt.

Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

well i guess i didnt make it clear that i found the problem while driving, got to my house and didnt drive again. I pulled to abs relay until i have the time to change the abs module. I dont have the money to take my car to a dealer. I will prob barely have enough money to buy the module. If your gonna say park your car until you fix it, yah ill do that right after i loose my job and drop out of school. Well why dont you send the memo about dangerous cars on the road with all the people on this board that drive in the rain on drag radials, to dark of tint, excessively loud cars, etc etc.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what has been stated in this particular mentioned case, it is absolutely imperative to have the brake system completely fixed before the vehicle is operated on a normal basis again.

Love it or hate what I mention, waiting on a brake problem like this is almost like playing russian roulette with everyone on the pubic road if it has to be operated again. I had a problem like this once, so I didn't mess around. Sounds pitiful, however I had the vehicle towed and made arrangements to commute to and from work. Just didn't feel safe at all.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
From what has been stated in this particular mentioned case, it is absolutely imperative to have the brake system completely fixed before the vehicle is operated on a normal basis again.

Love it or hate what I mention, waiting on a brake problem like this is almost like playing russian roulette with everyone on the pubic road if it has to be operated again. I had a problem like this once, so I didn't mess around. Sounds pitiful, however I had the vehicle towed and made arrangements to commute to and from work. Just didn't feel safe at all.

My 2 cents.

well if he disables the abs all together it is compltly safe to drive
Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the "ABS inop" light come on at random times. Hooked up a Techll scanner, no codes. Tried an OTC tech tool, couldn't pull any codes. This went on for several months. Finally, I was rotating the tires this spring, after putting the car back on the road for the season. (96 Z-28).

The rotors and spindles had a lot of brake dust accumulation, so I took my air hose and thoroughly cleaned out all the dust from the rotor vents, from the spindles, and EVERYWHERE else in the vicinity. Haven't had a light since. Possibly the metallic particles were setting up a magnetic force or something...
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragframe
well if he disables the abs all together it is compltly safe to drive
Provided that he can modulate it as well.

Quick Reply: Brakes failed while driving