Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowered car wears out shocks faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowered car wears out shocks faster?

I have been looking at lowering my car and have been reading that if I out a lowering kit on my car without matching/re-valve shocks, the shocks will wear out alot faster. I wanted to put new shocks on my car along with the lowering springs but I am kind of hesitant to do it now because I don't want to wear out my new shocks that fast. Is this true? I was looking at either bilstein shocks or the cheaper monroe ones.

Rob
Old 05-07-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

lowering springs will cause the stock shocks to not perform right due to less travel movment.... so in another words shocks should be changed to match the spring height for a better ride
Old 05-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

I put a ProKit on at 25k and left the stock DeCarbons. By 50k I bounce all over and am in the market for new shocks within the next 2 weeks. Looking back now I definitely should have changed shocks when I did springs.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 60k on a lowered car with Koni's and they are just fine. A good quality shock that's matched for your springs will last a while. However, shocks are like brake pads, they last a while, but eventually will need replaced. Shocks are a wear item. Just install a matching set of new shocks with your springs and enjoy the car.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Teching In

I ordered the BMR 1" drop kit this morning. I went with this because I was worried about hitting my longtubes out here in the sticks. I still haven't decided on shocks yet. I was looking at the cheapo Monroes because they are probably better than my stock decarbons with 100k.

Rob
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BMR's are fairly stiff in their actual working range, I'd run something better than the Monroe's with those.

Quick Reply: lowered car wears out shocks faster?