Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

fitting a rear IRS instead of the solid axle rear end in my 2000 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fitting a rear IRS instead of the solid axle rear end in my 2000 camaro?

can i do this? is there a kit to do so?

i saw once a TPI TA that had a C4 IRS so i wondered if i can do similar thing to my 2000 LS1 camaro. i want to do that because i want better road grip and handling.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do pretty much anything. Off hand, it seems like you'd need to weld in some additional mounting points and then build a rear sub-frame assembly to house the IRS. You need additional chassis mounting points and just couldn't make do with the 3 points you have (I'm ignoring the 4th place for the torque arm because it's not feasible to use).
So it means welding up some mount locations to hold the rear differential. It probably also means lengthening/shortening the half-shafts.
You'll want to ensure that the ABS reluctors are there and interfaced properly. If you have ASR, and want to keep that option it might be a challenge.

And before you do this, realize there are trade offs. The solid axle suspension can provide anti-squat so it's better for drag racing, and even accelerating out of a turn over smooth pavement.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a huge amount of suspension tuning that goes into a IRS setup. You can physically do anything with the right amount of money and dedication, but this seems like an awfully expensive risk to take when the outcome could result in a setup that likes to hop, is instable at speed, or has some other problem.

I'd go out on a limb and say that it might be safer to go into wieght reduction, or have someone with alot of experience really tune in your suspension setup. Looks like you have most of the hardware in place.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for replies. i still have UMI adjustable torque arm and front upper and lower A-arms (ball joints) set to install. also i will add the 17" 10-spoke camaro SS wheels so i hope adding all these will further enhance the handling and cornering.

still i feel IRS will out grip a solid axle at corners and uneven serfaces, isn't that correct?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Abdullah
thanks for replies. i still have UMI adjustable torque arm and front upper and lower A-arms (ball joints) set to install. also i will add the 17" 10-spoke camaro SS wheels so i hope adding all these will further enhance the handling and cornering.

still i feel IRS will out grip a solid axle at corners and uneven serfaces, isn't that correct?

theoretically yes. but its a lot of work to get it all perfect. a few have back-haved there f-bodies with a c5 rear(i think) and had success; they also dropped ~$15k doing it too....do a search and you will find a lot of stuff
Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
theoretically yes. but its a lot of work to get it all perfect. a few have back-haved there f-bodies with a c5 rear(i think) and had success; they also dropped ~$15k doing it too....do a search and you will find a lot of stuff
Yikes...with that kind of investment, you may as well buy a C5 for that purpose and leave your F-Body for the drags...
Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

One big tradeoff will be the added weight. If you plan on having a subframe strong enough, you must plan for the weight added. Even though you will be trading some unpsung weight for sprung weight, bear in mind that you will most likely add much more overall weight that is already there, and you might discover that there was not much to be improved for all of the effort and money involved.

If you must, I would design one with the most effective qualities of an IRS. Bear in mind that there are plenty of IRS designs that are not much better (sometimes much worse) than the current 4th Gen f-body configuration.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from a C4 to a new SS in 2002... I did this because I liked the look of the SS, it was new, it was the last one and it was a stick.. (my vette was an auto)

I wish I could go back and prevent myself.

The SS has a sweet engine and nice 6 speed and all... and can go really fast and handles pretty good... but in my opinion there's just no comparison.. body on frame construction, aluminum A-arms all around, transverse leaf springs.. it just makes for a car that is more pleasant to ride in and more forgiving on bumpy roads and so on.. after all.. it's a corvette.

You can spend corvette money on a camaro and put corvette parts into a camaro.. but you'll still have a camaro..
Old 05-07-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It sounds like you already have maxed out a lot of the performance parts. You could talk to Sam Strano to help tune it a bit. Or sell your car and get a new turbo Solstice, I bet they handle good!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Or sell your car and get a new turbo Solstice, I bet they handle good!
If it came in a hard top, I wouldnt mind having one. I wonder how the turbo version compares to a lotus elise.

Edit: Nevermind, at 2800lbs it may take a bit more work to compete with the lotus.

Last edited by DONAIMIAN; 05-07-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is turbo solstice?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

The new Pontiac solistice. Theyre supposed to be releasing a turbo version later this year.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

You can do anything if you have lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

or just go to Mallet in OH ... they do an LS2 conversion in the Solstice
Old 05-08-2006, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
or just go to Mallet in OH ... they do an LS2 conversion in the Solstice
They also do LS7 Conversions!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That Mallet is going to be outdated pretty quickly. I've been in turbo Soltice/Sky's and they are going to be really problematic cars for us. Behind a good driver we're talking pretty much neck and neck in the quarter, low 14's / high 13's.

The engines are also capable of 300 hp very easily (possibly tuning alone) and the torque curve is flat (torque limited for drivetrain durability).

Once the tuners get ahold of these things it's going to get really interesting. It is probably going to take less than 1k to get them into the 12's.

Quick Reply: fitting a rear IRS instead of the solid axle rear end in my 2000 camaro?