Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thread sealer on solo bleeders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thread sealer on solo bleeders?

This is probably a dumb question, but do any of you put any type of thread sealer like teflon tape on your solo bleeders? I just bought some Earl's solo bleeders and have been bleeding the brakes for the past 30 minutes or so (with a clear tube attatched to the bleeder nipple, so I can see the air bubbles), but I keep getting air bubbles. I have the bleeder opened very little (like 1/8th of a turn) and am wondering if putting teflon tape on the threads will help. I know you get "fake" air bubbles sucked through the threads if you're using a mityvac at the bleeder if using too much vacuum, but don't know about this. So, should I use teflon tape, or just keep bleeding?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, in case anyone in the future has this problem, I ended up continuing to bleed the line. I'm assuming it was air in the line that was being forced out and the bubbles just kept staying in that part of the hose for some reason. This was making it seem like there were bubbles coming out continuously, but they weren't. The solo bleeders on the front calipers worked awesome, a few taps of the brake pedal and all the air was out. Maybe this is because the bleeders are facing straight up instead of sideways on the rear calipers. Regardless, my brake pedal is very firm, so I know there's no air in the lines right now.