Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How well does the 00-02 F-Body handle compared to C5 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well does the 00-02 F-Body handle compared to C5 vette?

Hey alls. New here. I own a 67 Camaro, so I am not new to F-Bodies. I am in the market for a C5 vette. But, when thinking about it, I wondered how the 00-02 F-bodies handled compared to them. I mean, I am looking at WS6s, and I can get one for around 10k cheaper then a C5. Then mod it with the remaining money. This car will be setup for aggressive street handling, hopefully. I live in socal, and weekly visit the santa monica mountains, and big bear area. So I am mostly interested in how the car performs handling wise.

Considering the fact that I am only 21, funds are an issue. Any help would be great.

P.s, these are questions I couldnt find searching, so if this subjet has already been beaten to death, then please send me the link.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is a good article about it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3
Old 05-09-2006, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

was there a differnce in the 98's-00 for handeling?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01Generalee
was there a differnce in the 98's-00 for handeling?
No it's really the same thing. Even going from a Z28 to an SS it's still a boat.

The f-body is very far away from a C5's handling, imo. I thought my car handled okay until we brought home a C5 Z06. That car is amazing, it feels like it is stuck to the road. On a corner or on ramp, it feels like you will fly out the window before the car would break loose. Even going down the road straight and moving the wheel back and forth, it stays so even and tight the whole time. Do that in an f-body and you feel quite a bit of body roll.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

with the right mods you can completely change how a f-body handles. Koni shocks with just stock springs creates an awsome handling f-body. Add some larger sway bars and away you go..........no matter how you look at it the corvette is a supierior machine.........but you pay for it.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I race a '96 firebird in Camaro/Mustang challenge Series and i instruct for Texas Driving Experience which uses C5 Z06s as their track cars.

Showroom stock vs showroom stock, the C5 will kick the F-car's ***.

BUT ....

if one spends but 1/3 of the difference in cost between the 2 cars, the F-car can and will hang with a stock Z06
The following users liked this post:
jchapls1 (06-18-2022)
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I race a '96 firebird in Camaro/Mustang challenge Series and i instruct for Texas Driving Experience which uses C5 Z06s as their track cars.

Showroom stock vs showroom stock, the C5 will kick the F-car's ***.

BUT ....

if one spends but 1/3 of the difference in cost between the 2 cars, the F-car can and will hang with a stock Z06
Ive always thought that very same thing...its amatter of WHEN you spend the $$..on a vette..its up front with a fbody...you can pick and choose what and how...

I just added a set of swaybars (Strano...) and Im amazed at the diffrence..even driving straight down the road there is a "Seat of teh Pants" diffrence..Im running Re-valved Bilstiens now and wonder what the diffrence would feel like wit a set of DA/SA Koni's....

Although...the C5 vette is just plain out sexy..
Old 05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tunerdude
Hey alls. New here. I own a 67 Camaro, so I am not new to F-Bodies. I am in the market for a C5 vette. But, when thinking about it, I wondered how the 00-02 F-bodies handled compared to them. I mean, I am looking at WS6s, and I can get one for around 10k cheaper then a C5. Then mod it with the remaining money. This car will be setup for aggressive street handling, hopefully. I live in socal, and weekly visit the santa monica mountains, and big bear area. So I am mostly interested in how the car performs handling wise.

Considering the fact that I am only 21, funds are an issue. Any help would be great.

P.s, these are questions I couldnt find searching, so if this subjet has already been beaten to death, then please send me the link.

if I read this correctly your comparing bang for the buck...

in that case don't even waste time with a WS6 as your going to change out pretty much everything that makes it a WS6...

buy a formula or TA for several grand less and put that money on intake/exhaust/suspension and your passed C5 levels for cheaper then a WS6, then buy a hood and you have your WS7!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Cool, thanks guys. I am still debating at this point. I am still skeptical as to if an f-body can pull 1g lateral. I know thats not all there is to handling, but its a good measurement.

Hey mitchntx, do you guys have a webpage for your racing school? I believe in upgrading the driver first, so I need to get my *** into a school.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not really ...

a car can pull 1G lateral and kill all it's forward momentum.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, thanks guys. I am still debating at this point. I am still skeptical as to if an f-body can pull 1g lateral. I know thats not all there is to handling, but its a good measurement.

Hey mitchntx, do you guys have a webpage for your racing school? I believe in upgrading the driver first, so I need to get my *** into a school.
Get some decent rubber, Koni adjustables all around and swaybars (from Strano imo) and you'll hit 1 G easilly. Which model of LS-1 is more about looks than performance. They all handle and perform about the same stock.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ive got a pro kit,kyb 8 way adj shocks, 1le sway bars, adj panhard, LCA's, SFC's and a STB My car handles great and I still come in about 20k shy of a zo6
Old 05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Get some decent rubber, Koni adjustables all around and swaybars (from Strano imo) and you'll hit 1 G easilly. Which model of LS-1 is more about looks than performance. They all handle and perform about the same stock.
I have all the suspension mods and my car handles outstanding. Body roll is nil, so is brake dive. As far as going into the corners, my car is very close to a C5. The difference to me (having put quite a few miles on a C5) is that the C5 can handle so well, yet is very smooth over bumps, where my TA will rattle your teeth. It's just a more refined sports car. If handling is the main thing, then buy the C5.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

I believe Sam Strano said he got his f-body to 1.23.... I could be making this up though as I couldn't find the post...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Nice. I am really looking at f-bodies now. When I get it, I should have around 15K to play with.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Nice. I am really looking at f-bodies now. When I get it, I should have around 15K to play with.

Must be nice!!

LOL, jk.. that should be fun!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

dood.. a Cobalt SS/Supercharged makes then f-body look like a boat... let alone comparing it to a vette...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good call ...

www.texasdrivingexperience.com
www.apexdrivingacademy.com
Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Wasn't is Scott Settlemeyer that said the GM engineers were scratching their heads when an SS was able to clock faster lap times than the C5 at their proving grounds?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Vette handles alot better and has a better potential for handling cuz of its IRS. The Fbods Solid Axle doesnt compete with the Vettes IRS. Look at the skid pads for both and its a big gap, the Vette gets better g's than the fbod.

Quick Reply: How well does the 00-02 F-Body handle compared to C5 vette?