Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake Calipers

I am in the process of changing my rotors and thought I would repaint the Calipers and install these cool camaro decals I found on the calipers similar to the ones you see on Corvette calipers. My question is is it ok to bead blast the calipers and then use the parts washer at my work to clean the calipers after bead blasting? Or should I just clean them with the parts washer solution? Will the beads damage the rubber covers on the pistons? Also, I seperated the caliper from the brake pad holder, after I clean the calipers and reassemble them can I use marine grease (same grease I use on the car chassis) to lubricate them? The grease on it now apears to be a white grease, does it matter on reassembly? Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to consider bead blasting, I would fully disassemble and wash the calipers before you did anything to them. I would then tape up the bore to keep beads and debris out of the bores.

When you get done with the paint, drop in some new seals (real cheap from GM) and be done with it. A little more will will go A LONG way and not only last longer but look better as well.

About the grease.... just dont use too much. Moderation is key and I think you will have no problems with using it.

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers