Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best coil overs? GW? etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFA the stranoparts bars they work quite well, provided I don't run the standard LG spring rates on my "track freak." I like it a tad bit softer in the rear with the use of a 21-22mm rear bar. With the 32/21 combo, it was a little too much oversteer for my taste. AFA the swaybar combos, I have pretty much tried much of the combos that I have listed and have found that the 35mm/22mm hollow suits me best (Sam did his homework on this one).

AFA the general ride height, it's really not that even around (due to suitable cornerweighting and wedge), but it is around 1.25" lower on both street and track car. Once again, I prefer not to lower to 2.00", since Cg is then screwed up for the worse (at least from my experience on these chassis).

If I may comment on 18" tyres, they just don't seem to do so well with the solid rear axle. I discovered that when running the 18x10.5" rear Z06 replica's I found myself having too much lateral resistance and also being a little too sensitive to improper tyre pressure, which would either cause me to run slower or to induce snap oversteer. I will say on my track car that I prefer to run 17x11" ZR1 replica's all around, but for the street car I simply run 17x9.5 Z06 rims all around.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice info here!! I appreciate all the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for! Like I said, I ideally want the coil overs for the adjustable ride height, for some odd reason my Eibach Pro-kit didn't lower the front as much as I wanted, the rear is nice, but the front is still a tad high, say about .5" or so, even after all the miles and years they have been on.

I'm wondering if I were to get in touch with Sam Strano and have them put together a Koni SA shock package with a different set of springs, maybe a non-progressive set that it would suite me better, I don't know. I like how my friends car rides with the stiff coil overs, it really handles nice, much better than my car does.

I wouldn't mind a little more stiffness/rebound or something in the rear since I do have a stealth box with an amp back there, not too much extra weight, maybe 60lbs, but right now when I go over a hard dip or bump it will slam the bump stops, I think the shocks and springs are done for back there. Add in the 100k miles, tons of hard launches at the track, road racing, a-xing, etc, they have taken a beating.

If it would be cheaper and easier to go with a non-coilover setup and still get a better performing ride, lower height, etc than I got now with the Bilstein/Eibach combo I have now I would be open to anything.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The answer to your question is to call me and see what I have to say.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-16-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yes, definitely do give Sam a call. I'm not too sure if you are aware of what he's offering at the moment, but it's worth a try to call about that as well: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/505476-strano-performance-lowering-springs.html

And yes, the problems with the Eibach you have are somewhat of a problem, however it's really your shock's valvings that are responsible for much of the aggrivation.

I think that we're mentioning this advice mostly on the fact that you'd like to improve your street performance to the best of it's ability without wasting too much dough and without too much compromise.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The answer to your question is to call me and see what I have to say.
Well I just read the thread about your new springs, that sounds very much in the right direction for me

I'll call ya!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Oh yes, definitely do give Sam a call. I'm not too sure if you are aware of what he's offering at the moment, but it's worth a try to call about that as well: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505476

And yes, the problems with the Eibach you have are somewhat of a problem, however it's really your shock's valvings that are responsible for much of the aggrivation.

I think that we're mentioning this advice mostly on the fact that you'd like to improve your street performance to the best of it's ability without wasting too much dough and without too much compromise.
Yeah it was a shock to me, I pretty much got the Eibach LS1 kit right when it came out, so I may have gotten a early development batch or something, but they never were as low as anyone else I saw that had them. They seem to handle ok, pretty soft, which shocked me, it was like driving a Caddy

You hit the nail on the head, improve it all around and not dump more money than I already have on this pile And to acheive the ride height I want, looks are very important to me
Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Foxxtron; I don't know if I've asked this before or not, so bear with me. Did you reinforce the upper rear LG coilover mounting point (same as a stock shock) in any way/shape or form?? If so how? Also, did anyone ever research how putting the spring/shock together on the rear of these cars affects/effects the suspension geometry? Or does that not matter too much due to the solid axle?? Just curious about that setup.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't reinforce those points, and after about 12K on my track freak and about 30K on my street vehicle, I have seen no visible deformation at all to my human eye. On occasion, I've also used strain gauges to those points and there was negligible differences in stresses indicated between the LG CO and the regular Bilstien HD's with OE springs (could be wrong, however if I am right then that means that the chassis was properly built with AX and RR in mind, with the exception of roll cage of course ).

AFA the suspension geometry, using the stock shock points themselves shouldn't affect a greater difference, provided that the shocks will remain perpendicular to the axle mount and the upper chassis mount, as well as the coil springs thenmselves, however I haven't quite gotten to that point yet.

Great questions though.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, if I may add, the one downside to the rears on the LG setup is the psuedo cantilever design. I'm working to devise an axle mount in order to not only eliminate the psuedo cantilever design, but to enable an inversion of the shocks to decrease unsprung weight (though the shock really doesn't weigh much to begin with).

The downside to the fronts would be if using a sway bar like mine, the lower mount needs to be modified in order to elevate the coilover to clear the swaybar, but that will change geometry considerably, so the method would probably to find a method to retrofit a longer rod end on the top coil side (only necessary if the front will be invertedly mounted).

It's not a perfect design, however with some work, some of the quirks can be eliminated.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

So I'll bite. What spring length do you use with the Global West coil overs?

Can you use the dust cover on the Konis inside the narrower than stock spring?