Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Performance Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Strano Performance Lowering Springs

Announcing Strano Performance Lowering Springs

After the overwhelming success of our own specification anti-sway bars, we have decided it’s time to move forward and look into having other products made to our specifications.

As for early May 2006, we started discussions with a few different spring manufacturers about the feasibility of making springs to my specifications.

I’m happy to say that in roughly 4 weeks we should have 10 sets of springs to be sold at a discounted price for testing/input purposes. After we get these sets installed and running for a period of time to see what if any problems exist, regular production will begin.

I can’t yet let all the details out. However, I do want to give you some reasoning why I feel these springs will be better than most of what’s out there now.

To start with, our springs are going to be made by a known spring manufacturer. When the time comes, I’ll be happy to let any potential customer know who it is and why we chose them.

The springs will be linear in their working range. Front springs are completely linear; rear springs will be “dual-stage”. The rear spring rate we feel best, combined with the length needed so the spring will not come free at full droop dictates the use of what amounts to a built-in tender spring. This first stage or built-in tender is going to be very, very soft so that it gets compressed just by the weight of the car sitting on it and will remain out of the working range completely. Rates will become public when the springs are in production. I’m not into hiding information. However, rates are derived from a combination of current setups, including but not limited to rates I use on my coil-overs as well as the rates of other lowering springs I currently use.

The amount of lowering is going to be approximately 1.25” from stock, which is the maximum I believe is feasible. This height does not create strange steering and rear LCA angles, and does not sit the car down on the bump rubbers/ bump stops even at rest. This height also allows the best possible negative camber gains and lower center of gravity before creating cg and geometry problems.

Again, 10 sets will be sold at a discounted price (roughly $55 off retail) in exchange for your data and testing. I’m looking for a variety of cars, ranging from stock springs to various type of lowering springs for comparison purposes. Testers will be expected to keep proprietary information to themselves during testing. Please call Sam Strano Jr. @ 814-849-3450 for further information.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long is your testing phase going to be? I'm convinced and saving for a Hotchkis/Koni set-up after talking to you but may wait to buy for your set-up depending on timelines, ie: testing, production, time to shelf and of course price.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Remains to be seen. We are about 4 weeks away from test sets. Going on the assumption that everything is as we expect it to be, prodcution sets would be about 8 weeks later.

It's not a tomorrow thing. In the meantime (and even after our springs are ready) we will still carry the others (as we do with sway bars) so the customer knows the options. And there will be places for other springs (softer, lower, etc.).... Mine as designed for handling first and foremost.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

I understand that; thats what I'm looking for. Was just getting giddy and looking for a ballpark time and such. Guess since I'm saving the cash and waiting, I have time to see whatcha might have from what you have now and what we talked about awhile ago. Thanks Sam...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Sam, How do you think these springs will work with some re-valved HDs. I have some re-valves that you did for my pro-kit, but would like new springs.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01TA
Sam, How do you think these springs will work with some re-valved HDs. I have some re-valves that you did for my pro-kit, but would like new springs.
The rates aren't anything out of the ordinary for me. They are very common when I use coil-overs. Just applying that data to normal spring sets.

Really it depends on which Pro-kits you have (LS1 or LT1) and how I valved your set of shocks. If you have LS1 Pro-kits, generally the shock valving would be on the soft side unless you told me you wanted the car to be pretty aggressively damped. Remember that revalves are not all the same, so I can't say if your shocks can or cannot handle these springs if I don't know the specs. I should be able to look those up for you, but LS1 Pro-kits are much softer in the front (though similar, but not the same in the rear), so I can't say comfortably that you'd be a-okay.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

If you need a stock 95 formula for testing I will more then happy to apply.
-Brandon
Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

These spring rates were determined through "testing" and not "calcuations" correct?

I will definatley be interested in what rates you chose and how they were determined.

Sounds like buisness is going well! Keep it up!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Intrest in non 1le 99 z28?

suspension is 100% stock
Old 05-11-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Im keeping my eye out on this one!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these springs going to be compatable with the stock shocks? Or will they require something else to even be used effectively? Will they be feasble for a car that is mainly street driven, with about 6-10 trips to the 1/4 mile a yr? Definatley interested in the test or production springs. I have been holding off on shocks/springs, these may be just what I need.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I could probably be convinced to try a set also. I've got the Hotchkis springs w/ koni's now.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Sam,

I would love to be a tester. I have QTPs, a QTP catted Y and a GMMG exaust which will be going on the car May 17th

for suspension, I have UMI 3 point SFCs and their Adj. LCAs.Stock shocks/springs.

I have one question, Are these springs too much for a daily driven car ? Or are the rates preatty good ?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck on this Sam. I am in.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sam Congerts on this. Why dont you have them make ones with a 3/4 drop also, maybe with a bit less rate. I am glad to see u do this. It is the best of both worlds. If you had a set with 3/4 drop it may be better than my GC set-up.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Looking for all kinds of folks, including those with stock springs now. That way I can get a read on the drop amount vs. stock, and have it as accurate as possible.

Please note that these aren't magic springs that suddenly don't require the use of good dampers. I forgot to mention that before.....

Just give me a call folks. I just need a some details to see if it'll work out for both of us.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

I'll be giving you a call ... we have a couple cars you may be interested in.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope these come out soon, I was thinking of getting some BMRs or hotchkis springs for when I autocross.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

MMMMmmmm springs!!!!!

Was nice speaking to you on the phone Sam!!! I hope at some time after I get back home you wouldn't mind teaching me how to drive!!!

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Lowering Springs