Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

so i removed my front sway bar...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done this mod and I have to comment:

When I first removed it, it felt quite different because the car felt like it shifted when I made a turn. If I turned right, it felt like the weight of the car shifted to the left a tad, and then held. If I steered left, it felt like the weight of the car shifted (or maybe it's better to say it "held" at that point) and made the turn. This difference was enough at first to make me consider changing it back for safety reasons.

But, I drove it that way for a while, and you know what? I compensated. I've never been a "handling freak" or autocrosser, so I'm sure I would not have the advantage of a guy with the bar in for handling competition. But, I can tell you I can take off-ramps, make quick lane changes, all of that, because I'm used to how the car handles. And yes, it STILL handles way better than most cars I've driven.

Since I drove the car for years with the bar on, I can say my preference of feel is with it on. But that's it. I can tell no real difference in my ability to handle the car once I developed a feel for what the car is going to do. Predicatablility came with familiarity.

Those guys who said some suspension part broke and they suddenly couldn't handle the car aren't even talking about the same thing. Even if the bar could break or suddenly fall off and you had to deal with the sudden difference in handling, I could see that being a problem ... it handles differently, and the feel for that needs to be developed.

If I were to find removing it doesn't help ET, I'd reinstall it today and not look back. But, it FEELS like the weight transfers better during launch. If that equates to a better ET (I still haven't quantified that), I'll keep it that way. I'm not about to remove and re-install that thing over and over, no matter how trivial. Remember ... it's being "USED to the feel" that makes you proficient with it. Changing it back and forth is the most dangerous thing, to me, IMO.

Those who "speculate" how dangerous it is when removed simply don't know what they are talking about. Even if you only did it for a few days, you still don't know. You have to drive it and get used to it. I've taken tight, almost 360 degree ramps at a VERY fast speed and it didn't lose a beat. I can move quickly, too. It's jsut a matter of understanding HOW she moves, now.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dohkay! :thumbsup:
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
I apologise for that trackbird. The statement wasn't directed towards you, since you're quite knowledgable, and I think you did do the right thing. I posted it because of the two members who miscontrued what you posted. I think it was good that you kept it rudimentary, however those two members oversimplified it, which could be nice, but unfortunatley physics has much more in store than just overall spring rates alone.

Once again, thanks for understanding.
I knew that you didn't mean me. I was just wanting to explain that it wasn't as simple as I said and try to prevent someone from using what I said to argue with you about it. You've been at this long enough that I mostly know what you know (and that you know it) and where we agree in most cases.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Launching!

this is what may happen with no front sway bar on an evasive or emergency maneuver at higher speed- slightly exaggerated but entirely possible.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...5a7208eafa.htm
Old 06-08-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL I like that video, it looks like a lot of fun!

Not to be to lame though, honestly what are you barless drag guys suspension set-ups compared to the suspension buff set-ups???

When I put my suspension together I did every single upgrade (SB, LCA PHB springs) all at once and tuned shocks on the rear. The front shocks and springs were still stock with blown DeCarbon's. All upgrades are top of the line Hotchkis and with poly bushings etc, with 11 inch street/track tires in the rear and 9.5 front. Plus the car was on a massive diet, down to only 1 seat etc.

The rear was so tight compared to the front I didn't feel comfortable driving over 65 on the freeway.

When braking the car went side to side, it tried to change lanes by itself etc. That is only with the oversteer caused by excessively "soft" front shocks and stock springs. I could not imagine what it would be like with a drag bar in the rear and nothing in the front.

Do you guys run soft springs and shocks, a magic carpet tucked in the K-Member, what?

Other than opinions what are the differences between the set-ups or are you drag queens running stock just minus the bar.

Heh, drag queen. Funny.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven 125 MPH on squishy ET Streets with less problems than you sound like you are having.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I give up.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-15-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try using this to measure your launch times!

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...704537179797e2

It should help (JJ). Otherwise try and avoid deer . Seriously though don't get into an accident.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Try using this to measure your launch times!

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...704537179797e2

It should help (JJ). Otherwise try and avoid deer . Seriously though don't get into an accident.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I must be crazy. I used to drive my Formula to work 120 miles round trip with no front sway bar, on Pro-Stars with 165-15 Sears Guardsmans up front, and 26 x 11.5 x 16 ET Streets out back and never had a problem. I just made sure to use extra caution and didn't try to flind the car around.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Man this thread was a hoot! :bump: for a laugh. And im not on any "side" of this argument, I think both make valid points.

For those that have removed the front bar for better weight transfer, ie traction to the rear tires ... it's obvious they know what they're doing and won't be killing 1,000,000 babies anytime soon. Rather than focus on that, why not focus on all the drunk or falling asleep idiots on the roads or old people without eye sight who are the MAJORITY of murderers on our roads

Last edited by Launch; 05-17-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

^^^Let's not forget to add the texting soccer moms and texting/tweeting ditsy, brain dead, 'OMG' millenials to the above list of road murderers.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if people are yanking them off there's a reason. And if you're doing the kind of driving where you actually would feel the difference, then why would you take it off? God people are stupid. I promise it feels no different on a car that's already on skinnies etc.

Quick Reply: so i removed my front sway bar...