Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Time for brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006 | 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Hey guys I just wanna say thanks for helping me out with everything! My wheels where put on today so now I will have to invest in the brakes, I think Im gonna kick it around alil bit but I'll more then likely go with the C5 Rotors. Thanks again, - Frank
Old 05-25-2006 | 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

HP Pluses are *not* suitable for sustained track use, they are not race compiund pads and I'd fully expect them to fade away, especially on a small track with little time between corners for cooling. A larger rotor can help here a bit, but very little if the compound is still the same.
We both know that but they can be driven on the street and that is how both he and I use them. I do have a set of HT10s that I will be swapping out at the track. But, apples to apples,, we have both been using the same pad.

I have to reiterate that I feel your friend's case has more to do with the pad choice/track than the 12" rotors. And he in all likelyhood has to brake harder than a car on r-comp tires. The biggest difference is in lateral grip, not accel/decel grip (though there clearly is there as well). Hence a car on street tires can't carry the corner speed a car on race tires can, and has to slow down more.
I think that DOTs would work the brakes harder under braking simply because you can use them harder with the additional traction. I might be completely wrong on that one but I would have to see the outcome of two like cars at the track with the only difference being DOTs vs street tires before I would make a cold hard determination on that one. We will have to disagree on that one.

Maybe I missed what tires you were on for the test, but R-comps do help some. I'm betting the Viper wasn't on those. And they use only a 275 front tire vs. your 315. Given we don't run huge amounts of negative camber, we still end up with more tire on the ground under really hard braking than the Viper does.
You are correct on that assumption, I was on Kumho 700 Ecstas. As I said, I know tires are a big slice of the braking equation. I never said that C5 rotors enabled me to beat this car or that car. I stated what my set up was and then stated what cars I beat and what my 60-0 stopping distance was. BTW, I think the Viper did not have ABS so he actually had to modulate the brakes. All I had to do was stand on them {I still tried to modulate them as I think the best stopping comes just before evoking the ABS} and as I said,, the surface we were on wasn't great. I am quite happy with the fact that a 26K$ car beat several cars that cost a good bit more with simple low cost brake {and tire} upgrades.I was also happy with my braking performance after adding nothing but the rotors {I even reused my HP Plus pads when I first got them. I truly believe I experience less fade and the rotors are in better shape for longer than with my stockers.

Last edited by Judd; 05-25-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2006 | 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Hey guys I just wanna say thanks for helping me out with everything! My wheels where put on today so now I will have to invest in the brakes, I think Im gonna kick it around alil bit but I'll more then likely go with the C5 Rotors. Thanks again, - Frank
I know it seems like we sorta took over your post but these litle debates are where you can really learn alot. I know I do. Sam has alot of experience and I look up to him and I do take in what he says. I don't always agree with what he says but I do listen and think about it. I hope that you have had enough thoughts and ideas thrown out in this post to be of good use. I believe you will be happy with just about any of the recommendations that have been thrown out in this thread.

Now, if you really what some good braking,,, get you some drilled rotors for the front and rear. Get a set with the most holes for better cooling. Combine that with some Ceramic pads from the local Zippy Parts and you will be all good!

Last edited by Judd; 05-25-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for brakes!