Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Koni SA....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I just installed my Koni SA 4/4's yesterday and now I see why everyone that has either rode in a car with these shocks or owns/owned a car with these shocks said I will absolutely love them...I do! I have Hochkis springs and stock swaybars...these shocks are amazing. Like the guy posted not too long ago "I fell in love with my car all over again."

Sam, thank you so much for putting up with my stupid questions cuz I'm sure u answer the same questions over and over and over everyday but u know what? that's what makes u the man to go to...u help everyone with thier problems and suggest what they should do. I believe I talked to ur wife yesterday (I called saturday afternoon and the call went to ur house), she was very helpfull and very friendly.

These shocks are EXACTLY what I wanted and I cannot stop talking about them to my friends. They are firm but yet ride so well, when u push them they push back. It's definately money well spent, if u ever thought about buying these shocks DO IT because u will not regret it, money well invested.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is great, I plan on changing to a Hotchkis/KONI 4/4 setup in the next month, so it is posts like this that keep me on the edge of my seat. Glad to hear...
Old 05-28-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

That was me who posted that, and it's really true. Drives like a totally different car. Congrats on the setup!

-Mike
Old 05-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Did you adjust the settings at all before putting them in the car? I'm going to install mine tomorrow but going from G2 springs to stock springs with the perch and hose mod.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the 4th gen rears u have to adjust them while they are on the car under load...very easy to do. all I did was cut a square in the carpet (made a flap) where the top of the shocks mount to the car (ur not gonna be able to see cuz the back seat covers it up) and now I'll be able to adjust them in less than a few minutes.

the fronts, after I had the strut re-assembled and ready to go back in...that's when I set the firmness. it will still be easy to adjust the front if I want when it's in the car.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Man, Everyone loves their Konis soo much, I wish I can lower my car with Hotchkis and Konis but my QTP Catted Y scrapes like a ****.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

u scrap at factory ride height? maybe u could try the stock springs with konis and move the lower perch plus the hose mod in the back...it'll still lower it but not as much as the hotchkis.s
Old 05-28-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
with the 4th gen rears u have to adjust them while they are on the car under load...
That's the first I've heard of that in the 10 years I've used my Koni DA's. You can adjust them while they are off the car also. I've never had the dials move as a result of installation.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
That's the first I've heard of that in the 10 years I've used my Koni DA's. You can adjust them while they are off the car also. I've never had the dials move as a result of installation.

And 1.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Teching In

I have got my rear Koni's in with stock springs and hose mod. I turned them all the way firm and backed it off 3/4 of a turn on each side when they were in the car. Next up fronts, I'm just taking out the strut assembly and having a shop compress the spring and install the stock springs on the Koni's strut, but I need to start getting those suckers out of there.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'm just repeating what the lady on the phone at Strano Parts told me...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I suspect that was Sam Jr.'s mother, Arlyn. If you think it'll still save you time, you may want to clarify with Sam Jr.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't see a difference in the 2, if it worked for u guys before installing them and it worked for me while in the car then it works...
Old 05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't suspect. I told him that and it's because lately I've had a rash of folks not seeming to realize that the shock rod was turning when they were twisting the **** (before install). So rather than baby-sit everyone, I'm just telling them to adjust them on the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni's rule! I installed mine a couple months ago. I love the ride quality improvement but most of all I love the performance. I went a track this past weekend and even though I was in a a track that I've never been to and my brakes where shot, I recorded over 1 Lateral G's in both directions. I was going slow on the track partly because of lack of brakes but mostly because of driver ability. With my undersize 32mm front swaybar, stock 1le springs and Avon 550 allweather street tires. The car should do even better on R compound tires and a nice set of StranoParts Springs . I really need to mess with them to see where the sweetspot is for my setup. But for now I need to look at fixing my brake woes.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Don't suspect. I told him that and it's because lately I've had a rash of folks not seeming to realize that the shock rod was turning when they were twisting the **** (before install). So rather than baby-sit everyone, I'm just telling them to adjust them on the car.
That makes sense He said he heard it from a lady on the phone, and unless you've forgotten to tell me something ...
Old 06-14-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Not that I don't understand you wanting to babysit. But I"m having major issues trying to adjust themon the car for the spring.

I made a thread:sorry to hijack...its just bugging the crap out of me..losing 3 allen wrenches(craftsman) and breaking another tool. I can't get around the spring.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/525473-koni-help-can-t-get-allen-wrench-there.html
Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes indeed, Koni's = amazing.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing I did for my car was buying the Koni's, they are the BEST handling shocks I could have ever hoped for.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Are you using the short side of the allen key to engage the adjuster? If you aren't, you will not be able to easily move it, and you bend the allen key when it ride on the spring. Use the short side so you can get behind the coils.

Also, make sure you are using an allen key that has the longer tail (as long as you can get). A lot of them in the 2.5mm size are stubby, so short you get your fingers caught in the spring coils which doesn't work. You also have less leverage to move the adjuster with. My allen keys that size have about a 3" tail that I can hang on to. I've also got some that only have about 1.5-2", which are too short to be useful.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Koni SA....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!