Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front lower perches on shock install won't fit over top of shock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front lower perches on shock install won't fit over top of shock?

So I've now got all the parts I needed (shock boots and lower perches) to finish up the install but now I've got a new problem. How tight are the perches supposed to be on this shock? Do I have to literally beat these things on? Just by setting the perch on top of the new Bilstein and lining it up, it doesn't look like it will fit over the top even with serious hammering Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

YOu may have to hone it out. Thats what I had to do w/ my QA1 coilovers when I used Eibachs...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I tried some honing on the perch but I'm kind of uneasy on how much I should take off. I don't want to hone to much of it out and not have it catch on that ring around the bottom of the shock
Old 05-30-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you take some pictures?

-Mike
Old 05-30-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Can you take some pictures?

-Mike
Heck Yes

I did a little grinding on the top plate trying to alleviate some of the lip that was on there

Not sure how far I should grind on the inside as I'm pretty sure the ring on the shock should rest on the little bit of lip that is there

Old 05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

For the love of God. Take the gold cap off, it just taps off..... Put the perch on, put the cap on. This really isn't all that complicated.

I hope like hell you didn't screw up the perches, but I'm thinking you did. I would not run them on any car if you ground on them at all. They support the weight of the car, and if they don't fit right (and it's a tight fit to start with), you will have serious problems. Get new perches. Get a service manual. Read it, and PLEASE don't rely on the internet.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMG!

Did those shocks have instructions? There should never be ANY grinding, honing required to do that or to install any otherwise "good" part. Did you attempt to even call Bilstein for help?

Please be cautious when doing this type of install.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There are no instructions.... It's very simple, the parts just come off the OEM shocks (which he didn't have) and get put onto the Bilstein's. And that's how Bilstein's are for this car no matter where they come from. Further, work is generally done by folks with training and manuals, so it's generally not an issue. So in this case, there wasn't the advantage of seeing how it should have been.... Which is even more reason why you need a service manual.

But more than once a month I get calls from folks (even mechanics) who just sometimes don't see it. I admit I have moments in life when I don't see the forest through the trees as well....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
For the love of God. Take the gold cap off, it just taps off..... Put the perch on, put the cap on. This really isn't all that complicated.

I hope like hell you didn't screw up the perches, but I'm thinking you did. I would not run them on any car if you ground on them at all. They support the weight of the car, and if they don't fit right (and it's a tight fit to start with), you will have serious problems. Get new perches. Get a service manual. Read it, and PLEASE don't rely on the internet.
This may not be complicated for someone that may have some mechanical knowledge of suspension systems, but for someone that has NEVER done a shock/spring swap before it's pretty foreign to me.

So the Gold cop just taps off? And I guess that's just common knowledge with shocks then Funny that nothing came up in any searches and the Bilstein instructions never mentioned that I could take the cap off without damaging the shock. So a tech manual would have mentioned that I need to do this?

I'm not meaning to be rude here, I'm a very detailed oriented person and I pretty much have to be with the job I hold. Some things that are very obvious to you will not always be obvious to someone less experienced. If you've ever had to deal with tech support you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, that's what I thought about the instructions. I now remember that I too went off my service manual like you mentioned, since my HD's sit around here in case one of my cars needs them on again.

Even so, I still think that work like this is opposite from "cooking" (where it's easy to add, and very difficult to remove). When grinding and honing, it's easy to remove, but very hard to reverse.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
This may not be complicated for someone that may have some mechanical knowledge of suspension systems, but for someone that has NEVER done a shock/spring swap before it's pretty foreign to me.

So the Gold cop just taps off? And I guess that's just common knowledge with shocks then Funny that nothing came up in any searches and the Bilstein instructions never mentioned that I could take the cap off without damaging the shock. So a tech manual would have mentioned that I need to do this?

I'm not meaning to be rude here, I'm a very detailed oriented person and I pretty much have to be with the job I hold. Some things that are very obvious to you will not always be obvious to someone less experienced. If you've ever had to deal with tech support you'll know what I'm talking about.
A friendly reminder when it comes to OE upgrading is wait to be safe than to haste and making waste. Even when performing something like an OE upgrade suspension swap, never take a lot of matters into your own hands when needing information. It's better to call either your vendor, another vendor, or even try Bilstein themselves before attempting to grind anything.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this threads a bit old, but it's just right for my question.

Sam, or anyone else, can the Bilstein shocks be run without the gold cap on?

One other thing, does the Bilstein come with a nice, new bumpstop?
I don't think I've ever seen a pic of one.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The cap is for the bumpstop to contact, the top of the shock is not flat without it. And Bilstein's do not come with bumpstops, you re-use GM ones (and that's if you can even find Bilstein's anyway).

Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can a flat washer be used in place of the cap?
Bottom line is I need the entire body to be under 2.1" in diameter so an air bag will slide over it. The stock gold cap has that ridge that sticks out. Maybe a thick flat washer can be glued into place?

So everyone who's got Bilstein shocks are using them with the stock bumpstop? That's horrible. They are way too stiff, not progressive and reduce usable wheel travel at least 3/8".

Are the shocks hard to get at the moment?