Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Info on How to Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Info on How to Lower?

My baby now has 83k miles on here and although the shocks are still fine, no bounce at all, I think its time to just proactively replace them.

Since I was going to be in there anyway replacing the shocks I figured I would see what is needed to lower it. Nothing radical but there is just way to much wheel well, and at the last show I came real close to winning the 4x4 award.

Currently I have bfg kdws 275 40 ZR17s on ZR1 17" rims. I don't want to change the rims, and do know that these tires have more sidewall then the KDW but the dang KDW get a flat spot if parked for long periods. I fly around the country a lot and drive my truck instead of the SS to work so it sits for weeks at a time.

So there's the background. Can anyone give me an idea of what is needed to lower this? I haven't even attempted something like this before so I have no idea what is needed. Picture below shows how much room there is between the wheel and fender. Its 3" from Fender to Wheel in the front and 2 1/2" in the back. Is 1" - 1 1/2" enough clearance?

Thanks in advance for the help.
If anything maybe this could become a sticky on how to lower your fbody .

Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

If you look at the top of this forum there is a sticky called "Lowering Guide for newbies." If you still have questions after that ask.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually that does not go into a how to? Is there a step by step instructions. That certainly helped, but what I was looking for was torque specs, and how to remove the shocks, and springs and reinstall. Checking Install univerisity now to see if they have something on it.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kick_*ss
Actually that does not go into a how to? Is there a step by step instructions. That certainly helped, but what I was looking for was torque specs, and how to remove the shocks, and springs and reinstall. Checking Install univerisity now to see if they have something on it.
ls1howto.com has the front and rear spring install guides.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you, I will check that out now
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kick_*ss
thank you, I will check that out now
If you do decide to do it make sure you have an impact gun for the nuts on top of the front shock towers once you have the whole shock assembly off the car you will see what i'm talking about.

Also be sure to mark how the stock springs fit onto the shocks. This is something that isn't mentioned on that guide but it cost me a lot of time. You have to have the spring turned and aligned on the shock for the upper mount to fit back into the fender. This in turn will make the bottom of the shock mount correctly to the lower mount.

Also a second or third set of hands make it A LOT easier to handle.

Just to let you know I was in the same position as you were with not ever attempting this. I just read the guide over and over again and I'm happy that I did do it.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Get Of Qa-1 Adjustables I Love Mine And You Can Adjust The Front Ride Height To Whatever You Like
Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
If you do decide to do it make sure you have an impact gun for the nuts on top of the front shock towers once you have the whole shock assembly off the car you will see what i'm talking about.

Also be sure to mark how the stock springs fit onto the shocks. This is something that isn't mentioned on that guide but it cost me a lot of time. You have to have the spring turned and aligned on the shock for the upper mount to fit back into the fender. This in turn will make the bottom of the shock mount correctly to the lower mount.

Also a second or third set of hands make it A LOT easier to handle.

Just to let you know I was in the same position as you were with not ever attempting this. I just read the guide over and over again and I'm happy that I did do it.
All of this info is absolutely true, good info 2001 White Ws6! When I did my shock/spring install I couldn't get the nuts on top of the front shock towers off, even with an impact gun because they were rusted solid. They were a BIG pain in the a$$. Also, I had 2 people help me with the install. The more help the better IMO, especially if you have someone who knows what their doing. I had also never done this before, but I had the help of two very knowledgeable friends which made everything much easier. If you decide to do the install yourself and have more questions just ask. Good luck!

Last edited by BAD99TA; 06-13-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Info on How to Lower?