Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake fluid?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake fluid?'s

Ordered my Wilwood 4 pots and they will be coming in soon. Will be having the system bled and flushed. How much fluid to I need? Opinions on what kind to use for a street driven car? Heard decent things about the ATE Super Blue, any other options? And do the sponsors carry this? I checked a few but only found the normal GM fluid. Thanks.

JasonG
Old 06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford HD dot 3.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I have ATE, both Super Blue and Type 200 (same stuff, just amber colored)

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I have ATE, both Super Blue and Type 200 (same stuff, just amber colored)

I use both of those in my car with 6 piston Wilwoods. I flush it through once a year and can do it on about 1/2 of a liter bottle (3/4 if I go several pumps of the pedal beyond getting fresh fluid). So, usually one bottle will get you fixed up just fine. The stuff works great and I change it once a year on average. The next time, use the other (superblue/typ 200) version and watch for the color to change, then go to the next wheel. Superblue is blue, Typ 200 is brown (golden?).

It's worked well for me, even when turning rotors purple at autocrosses. I'm harder on it than a street car would be and it's great stuff.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

While we're on the subject of brake fluid. Has anyone done a test of the major high performance fluids to see how they compare to each other in the moisture absorbtion dept.?? Wet boiling points are great, but that does not tell you how quickly the fluid takes on the water in order to need that boiling point, as well as not showing how much the wet boiling point is reduced from the stated rating once more moisture than the test requires is absorbed into the system. I ask this because I'm trying to find a fluid that can stand up to no bleeding or flushes for at least 2 years of daily driving with some autocrosses thrown into the mix (I know they're not that hard on the fluid), regardless of cost!! Is the SRF still the king, considering this (and yes, I know most will say it's killing an ant with a 50 ton press, for my app., but I'm asking anyway)?

Mitch, trackbird, chicane, Foxxtron, anyone??
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I ran all last year on the street and autocrossed the car on fluid that was changed the year before (as I remember, and I drive my car daily, snow and all). I ususally flush at the beginning of the season, but I don't think I did so last year (I think it's been a while). At the last two events, my pedal started getting spongy as the brakes got hot (really hot). So, you might do a year of street use and a year of combined use (including the F-body motorsports event and close to 60 runs in two days and a 1200 mile trip pulling a tire trailer, and a full season of 2 driver SM2 autocross use and one out of town event) out of ATE. Honestly, it's cheap enough to just change it every spring. It appears that I just forgot to do so last year.

SRF is probably still the king.

Oh, and I drove last winter (and am still using) that fluid. It's fine for street use, but the pedal gets a little soft when it's hot, really hot.

Last edited by trackbird; 06-08-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the input guys.

Sam I sent you a PM.

JasonG

Quick Reply: Brake fluid?'s