Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sping compressor for Strange shock assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Sping compressor for Strange shock assembly

What spring comprssor do you guys use for assembling stange coil overs? I have a coild over spring compressor but there is not enough room between the shock body and spring for it to grab properly and i do not want to chance damaging the shock. so what compressor do you recomend..thanks in advance

JR
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I just needed to rent one, not purchase. When I did my shocks I went to AutoZone and rented a "strut compressor." You've got to tell them "strut compressor" because if you say you want a "coil spring compressor" it won't work for this application. They pretty much look like this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jc...ache/I1286.gif. The best part is that you put down a $40 deposit to rent it and they give it back to you when you return the compressor so it's FREE. Hope this helps and I"m understanding the question properly.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i have the compressor thats on the right of the picture and that one will hit the body of the shock...there is maybe 1/4" between the shock body and spring

JR
Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

The strut compressor that AutoZone rented me grabs the spring from the outside while the shock is on the inside of the spring, it worked like a charm.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to pep boys and they will either have theirs to rent or to buy. It's the Lisle MacPherson Strut compressor/tool and it uses "u" bolts that go around the spring coil and then connects to a bracket by using a nut