Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD's with BMR springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bilstein HD's with BMR springs?

I was wondering if this would be a good combo since BMR springs are only a 1 inch drop.

I was originally looking at Koni SA's but I think they might be overkill...

Basically, it's looking like I'm going to get one of these three:

1. Bilstein HD's with BMR springs and Strano swaybars
2. Bilstein revalves (Strano) with BMR springs
3. Koni SA's with BMR springs

I don't want to go over $800 so the only way I can get sway bars is if I get HD's.

Right now, I'm cruising around on blown out stock shocks and cut springs (2" drop). I'm looking for stability up to 150 (on the Autobahn).

Any guesses on what my current spring rate would be on a 2" drop from cut springs? It's only a little bit too stiff so I don't want to go too soft.

What do you think of my selection of BMR springs? Spring rates are here: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

I'm going to order everything I can from Strano since he's such a strong supporter of this forum. I was going to call Sam but I really think I can lay it out better on "paper."
Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

The Konis would be your best bet for those springs. Hotchkis springs with Konis would be a better set-up.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

i have slp bilstein's with B&G lowering springs 1" drop(i think theyre from bmr cuz it says 'bmr' on em lol) anyways the set up is stiff and firm. over bumps u can feel em, ....but on highways and swervy back roads, whether 100+mph or 50mph it sticks to the road real good. plus i have brand new bf goodrich tires. when i first took it for a test drive on back roads then the highway, i felt like i was in an indy car. -my 2cents
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get springs you need Koni SA or revalves and if you get bars sam will have to stiffen the revlaves more due to increased "spring rate" of the bars and springs. HD's and BMR wouldn't provide the proper damping rates....

Hope that helps.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you mean to say you cannot just swap out eibach springs w/bilstein HD's w/o changing over shocks too?

Not saying the ride will be too good, but w/proper spring height, isn't it feasible to obtain a stiffer spring and still retain the HD's?

Or is this what is meant:

You don't need KONI DA the rears somtimes even just blow out(ask sam). You CANT do springs right unless you have proper damping.......aka shocks.

You need Konis or revalves thats the only real two options with higer spring rates.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the revalved Bilsteins from Strano that were done to match my BMR springs and they're awesome!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm...
I was originally going to get the Hotchkis springs but then I saw the BMRs are a little stiffer and still progressive. (again, I don't want to go too soft)

Are the Hotchkis springs still fairly stiff?

I think I'll just go with the Koni's since I might get swaybars eventually.

So now the question is:
BMR or Hotchkis springs?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OR...
How would Revalve Bilsteins + Strano bars compare to Koni 4/3 + Stock sway bars?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

The main thing you gain over the Bilsteins with the Koni setup is adjustablity. If you get revalves Sam will have to know the spring and bar's your going with to get the proper valving. With Koni it don't matter really what you put with it(in reason) its going to damp any spring they make thats why you can adjust these shocks.

Also remember you just dont' want to go pick out the highest spring rate spring either thinking its better. You need to know what the car is being used for etc. Remember the Koni 4/3 are not really adjustable on the rear.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

I would definitely talk to Sam Strano about your setup. He'll give you some great advise depending on what you would like to do with your car. I like Hotchkis springs + Koni or Bilstein Revalve over the BMR springs IMO.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately talk to Sam Strano. I bought BMR springs and Bilstein HD's about a year and a half ago without researching first and basically pissed $600 away. The ride was horrendous! I just switched back to stock springs because I couldn't take the pounding anymore.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great input guys!
I'm going to call Sam before I place an order.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by fast01
I bought BMR springs and Bilstein HD's about a year and a half ago without researching first and basically pissed $600 away. The ride was horrendous! I just switched back to stock springs because I couldn't take the pounding anymore.
There you go.... This is why it's not wise to use HD's (or any shock not built for lowering springs, with lowering springs). Shocks are spring dampers, so it stands to reason the shocks should be valved with the spring rate and travel in mind, right?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

i have bilsteins with bmr lowering springs and it rides good but it is rough and stiff over bumps... i didnt research anything before buyin em lol soooo yea. what springs would u recommend with bilsteins? (stock or any aftermarket) its a daily driver so i do alot of street driving, highway racing, and will be seeing time at the drag strip too. i want to keep the bilsteins.....they were expensive lol and i think they would be good with the right springs. repost or pm me
Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fast01
Definately talk to Sam Strano. I bought BMR springs and Bilstein HD's about a year and a half ago without researching first and basically pissed $600 away. The ride was horrendous! I just switched back to stock springs because I couldn't take the pounding anymore.
im switching back to stock springs, the shop still has em and is hookin me up with a deal. how does bilstein hd's ride on stock springs?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

HD's will be fine with the stock springs..should be good to go. Pretty good combo for a daily driver....

Enjoy.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about 1le's.....for added weight load? Maybe this will be a temporary solution to my problem, otherwise, I am contemplating spring rubbers until I can obtain the correct rear suspension package.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your going more weight in the rear of car the 1le spring would better "Support" it but it might be too much spring when you empty the car..make sense?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

See, I have BMR spings and sway bars and stock shocks and need to replace the shocks, but I don't want to start over. I bought the sway bars and springs back in 2001 when I was still a NEWBIE, but the car doesn't get driven much anymore (<2500 miles a year) so I can't justify the expense of replacing the springs and sway bars when all I really want to do is put the best shock for the dollar on the car. I just don't want to hear "well why did you go with those springs and swaybars" and that I need to not only switch the shocks, but buy new springs and swaybars as well because I don't drive the car enough to justify that expense. Hopefully a nice set of re-vavled Billsteins will do the trick since I don't need the adjustability of the Koni's. The car gets driven back and forth to work on winding back roads about once a month and never sees any kind of competitive driving, drag racing or autocross or road racing. I just want to get rid of the harshness of the ride since the shocks aren't up to the task of dampening the higher spring rates. I understand the physics involved and completely understand why the stock shocks are now toasted.

I will be giving Sam Strano a call in the upcoming weeks to discuss my options. Hopefully he'll have a reasonably priced sollution, i.e. a setup for the Billsteins that will suit my needs.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
See, I have BMR spings and sway bars and stock shocks and need to replace the shocks, but I don't want to start over. I bought the sway bars and springs back in 2001 when I was still a NEWBIE, but the car doesn't get driven much anymore (<2500 miles a year) so I can't justify the expense of replacing the springs and sway bars when all I really want to do is put the best shock for the dollar on the car. I just don't want to hear "well why did you go with those springs and swaybars" and that I need to not only switch the shocks, but buy new springs and swaybars as well because I don't drive the car enough to justify that expense. Hopefully a nice set of re-vavled Billsteins will do the trick since I don't need the adjustability of the Koni's. The car gets driven back and forth to work on winding back roads about once a month and never sees any kind of competitive driving, drag racing or autocross or road racing. I just want to get rid of the harshness of the ride since the shocks aren't up to the task of dampening the higher spring rates. I understand the physics involved and completely understand why the stock shocks are now toasted.

I will be giving Sam Strano a call in the upcoming weeks to discuss my options. Hopefully he'll have a reasonably priced sollution, i.e. a setup for the Billsteins that will suit my needs.
I don't know why you would have to start over. I'd say you just need a set of Bilstein revalves to match the BMR springs you have and your good to go. That's just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD's with BMR springs?