Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4 link kinda style suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 link kinda style suspension??

Ok,well,I install adj. LCA's,PHR and reloc. brackets.

In the process,while me and my GF's dad are standing under the car he says "Hey,why dont we get rid of this stupid rod??"(TA)...."we could run a nice dual set up then,and I can fab a 4 link type setup"

He wants to somehow get adj. LCA type arms(whatever length,determined when doing some measuring)....mount them to a TA cover he would make with brackets to mount the rod end of the arms,and a plate with some brakets that would be mounted up in the hump(behind the rear seats,but underneath the car) to mount the poly end of the arms....he says it'll work kinda like a 4-link.

I think he's crazy,I told him,that NO ONE has done that,and their must be a reason for it....like weight distribution pinion angles and whatnot....he says,it'll be fully adjustable so he can get whatever angles he needs.

He keeps on me about wanting to do some fabricating to the car,I keep trying to blow him off about it.

I told him theres people running 7-8 seconds,and they STILL use a TA,there must be a reson.

But he insists he can do it.

Give me some points,to throw out to him,that he cant dispute.

Theres NO WAY this will work right?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel tank is right where you would usually attach the upper bars for a 4 link. And, 4 links are not good for turning corners, they bind up and the car can get loose. So, if handling is a concern for you, do not do a 4 link. For reference, the Fox body Mustangs have a 4 link setup in them and many of them are converted to torque arm suspension (like an F body) for road race applications.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some one posted on this forum a while ago the he is in the process of creating one, i think it was posted in the LT1/LT4 section.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Here's the link to the thread in the LT1/LT4 section
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=link
My current suspension project is designing and fabbing something up similar to what's setup on the Buick GNXs'.
http://www.buickgnx.com/ -see rear suspension page
The bracketry used on S10s' aftermarket setups will be tried and a relocation(slight) of sway bar appears to be necessary.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Here's the link to the thread in the LT1/LT4 section
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=link
My current suspension project is designing and fabbing something up similar to what's setup on the Buick GNXs'.
http://www.buickgnx.com/ -see rear suspension page
The bracketry used on S10s' aftermarket setups will be tried and a relocation(slight) of sway bar appears to be necessary.
You mentioned "improved handling", the 4 link is not going to improve handling. When the body rolls relative to the axle, the bushings will bind. This causes the rear to "stick" and has the effect of increasing spring rate. The increased spring rate from the bushing bind can make the rear of the car do evil things (just "snap" and come around in a hard corner). This is the same problem that the Griggs kit fixes on the Mustangs (by swapping them to a torque arm setup and removing the binding 4 link arrangement). So, for a drag car, you might try it, but for a "handling" car, I wouldn't do it. I think you'll be sorry. Of course, this depends on how hard you push the car. It may handle just fine up until 8/10ths or so, but if you really push it, it may start to do evil things. If you don't run it hard, you may never notice. But it's not optimum by any means for cornering performance.