Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear tire rubbing on hard right turns

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire rubbing on hard right turns

I have a bone stock suspensioned 99 TA with 245/50ZR-16's. A few times I've noticed a rubbing sound when accelerating on a right turn. I checked tonight and there is a spot in front of my driver's side rear inner wheel well that is rubbed to bare metal.

What is flexing to cause this? What suspension upgrade will stop this from continuing to happen?

-Ron
Old 06-24-2002, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rear tire rubbing on hard right turns

Panhard rod.

Dope
Old 06-24-2002, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

the panhard rod controls the position of the rear end from side to side

but, a new panhard rod may not fix the problem alone...

it depends on the bushings you get in your new panhard rod too..

even poly bushings deflect enough to cause some rubbing...

a panhard rod with rod-ends on both sides would be your best bet... that will also enable you to center your rear end better(that stock panhard rod may be a little bit too short because of manufacturing tolerances or something)
Old 06-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Won't a solid panhard transmit a lot of road noise in? I'm afraid of even urethane bushings.

When the car is sitting in the driveway everything seems perfectly lined up, so that panhard must be flexing really badly.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RDJohnson:
<strong>Won't a solid panhard transmit a lot of road noise in? I'm afraid of even urethane bushings.

When the car is sitting in the driveway everything seems perfectly lined up, so that panhard must be flexing really badly.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">not "a lot" of noise, but some should be expected

polyurethane didn't ever add any noise to my car at all...

there are a couple things you can do:

get a panhard bar with polyurethane on one end and a heim joint on the other... install the poly end on the chassis mount.... this will be a pretty good fix for you(the poly will deflect a little bit but will be better than stock)

or

stick with the stock panhard bar and just smash in the inner fender well with a hammer a little bit

it's pretty crazy that you're getting this much trouble with the stock 16x8's, they only have like 6.75" backspace
Old 06-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Teching In

I spent some time last week and carefully measured the offsets on my rear wheel centering. The rear end at rest was shifted 1/2" toward the passenger side. Add this to a hard right turn under acceleration and soft rubber bushings and I guess I'm not too surprised by the rubbing.

I consulted with Sam Strano before buying the bar. It was a different experience. He told me to buy a solid bar from someone else. He had panhard rods but didn't have what I needed (dual spherical.) I’ll definitely buy something from him soon.

I installed a Global West adjustable panhard rod spherical at both ends this weekend. I went with this one because it seemed it'd be easy to replace the rod ends when they wore out and it'd be easy to get a single urethane end if the road noise was too severe.

I haven't noticed any change in road noise. I am very relieved by that and the rubbing is gone.

When I accelerate at the limit of traction while turning hard right the car used to feel like it was flexing. Now the back stays relatively flat and feels more rigid. It is a big improvement.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Forgot to say Thanks to everyone who replied.

-Ron
Old 06-29-2002, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RDJohnson:
<strong>I spent some time last week and carefully measured the offsets on my rear wheel centering. The rear end at rest was shifted 1/2" toward the passenger side. Add this to a hard right turn under acceleration and soft rubber bushings and I guess I'm not too surprised by the rubbing.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cool, you actually took the time to get a measurement before hand...
a 1/2" is actually quite a bit..

panhard rods with strong bushings really do make the rear end more predictable...

sounds like you're all taken care of.. now you just need to start autocrossing

have fun