Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bad vibration/sound above 70mph(long thread)need help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the torque arms are touchy. i had the same problem. i changed the driveshaft and the panhard bar (adjustable). those took care of it. not sure which, but together they did the trick. is you rear of center. even a little.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
the torque arms are touchy. i had the same problem. i changed the driveshaft and the panhard bar (adjustable). those took care of it. not sure which, but together they did the trick. is you rear of center. even a little.
Nope i got an adjustable panhard rod too, i adjust it and everything is perfectly center.Also the vibe was there even with the stock parts.

Also for the u-joint.I ve test drive the car after the install of the new parts and i could hear the vibration with less then a miles driven(just the time to get to 70mph)so the u-joint are not the problem.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Always Faster, it sounds like you've been chasing that vibration gremlin hard!! You might consider checking one more hiding spot for Mr. Gremlin, the rearend. It might need new bearings, that's been a known cause of vibration/shimmy at highway speeds. My 2000 SS had a vibration like you've described when my worn out stock rearend was in the car. Since then I've replaced it with a rebuilt unit ( bearings, axles and such. ) with steeper gearing and... no more vibration.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Always Faster, it sounds like you've been chasing that vibration gremlin hard!! You might consider checking one more hiding spot for Mr. Gremlin, the rearend. It might need new bearings, that's been a known cause of vibration/shimmy at highway speeds. My 2000 SS had a vibration like you've described when my worn out stock rearend was in the car. Since then I've replaced it with a rebuilt unit ( bearings, axles and such. ) with steeper gearing and... no more vibration.
It was a good idea but.The noise was there with my old 10bolts.I ve changed for a 12 bolts and the noise is still there.

My old 10 bolts was install on another f-body and no noise what so ever.

So this is not the issue.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Yeah I am also running new wheels/tires, and those didn't change anything. They are computer balanced also.

It is 100% drivetrain related and there is no arguing that. The car is smooth as soon as you put it into N...
TC/Tranny/flywheel? If it were in the drivetrain after the tranny, it would be a consistent noise, because even in N while coasting all of the drivetrain DS/u-joints/rear(ring/pinion/posi)/axles/axle flange/bearing/brake components are still spinning...

(Sorry, I actually use the search feature on the site and sometimes drag up older posts)
Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

mines doing the same.

im looking for a place to get my ds balanced
Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

I just put the BMR TA relocation mount on my car. I already had the adjustable TA and set the angle to -3 degrees and now at 80 mph it starts vibrating and just gets worse the faster I go. The car didn't vibrate at all before I installed it. Any ideas? I 'm not around the car right now but I just want to know what I should check first. I have the BMR LCA's, BMR adjustable panhard bar, BMR adjustable torque arm, BMR sway bars, and the car is lowered 1".
Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Change the pinion angle closer to -1 or 0.

-3 is pretty extreme on the street and i'll bet that's where its coming from.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

I am currently chasing the same problem...already flipped the driveshaft 180* will be having it balanced this week at which point the u-joint will be replaced.
It's aggrevating to say the least!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Change the pinion angle closer to -1 or 0.

-3 is pretty extreme on the street and i'll bet that's where its coming from.

It was at -3 before I put the mount in and at 130mph there was no vibration. The only reason I put the relocation mount on was I was thinking about putting N20 on and didn't want to break the tail shaft. The car was dynoed at 449.6rwhp.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone find out what the problem was?

Quick Reply: Bad vibration/sound above 70mph(long thread)need help :(