Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

all suspesion guru's Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default all suspesion guru's Help please!

Okay, first, thanks for taking time to read post. I have a two part problem (probably related). Dealership and local alignment shops have not been able to help. First, I do a lot of highway driving, and with 10-15 mph cross winds, car is very unstable. Hunts all over road in reaction to bumps and wind. Second, under braking, seems to track grooves in pavement and have a lot of bumpsteer ( one tire hits a bump, car goes to that side.)Happens with both front tires. I also have problems with front brake rotors warping. This seems to be common with these modle F-bodies, and I plan to buy Autozone rotors next. As far as suspension/tires go, suspension is all stock, tires are 255/50/16 Dunlop AS5000 all the way around. Problems were there on origional tires too. I have put car on stands to check for anything loose or obviously bent, and can find nothing. Have noticed that front tires are much harder to turn (freely) than I think they should be. Again dealership says no problems. Any advice would be appreaciated, or locations in the Houston area of excellent suspension shop. Again Thanks for replies, Kevin D.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: all suspesion guru's Help please!

I'm pretty sure that's just the way it is. My car had the same issues with the stock suspension, and all the way through 2 years of modifying the suspension (only thing left stock is the TA and the front A-arms). 3rd set of tires too. The wide, grippy tires will follow grooves and will steer into bumps under heavy braking. I've heard that running 0 toe-in/out can help a lil bit (stock is 1/16th or something).

Not sure about the wind thing, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with your car unless you've added hokey ground effects or wings or something. Any car gets pushed around by wind.

Regarding spinning the front wheels, do they spin freely or do they stop quickly and/or suddenly? Grinding noises? It's normal to have a bit of resistance due to the brake design, but if they grind and stop suddenly then you've got clearance issues or bearing issues.

In short, you've basically described my car and every other ls1 I've driven in. I wouldn't worry.

Dope
Old 09-21-2002, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is pretty common with F-bods, but I did not notice it with 245's up front. When I went to 275's my problems started with this. Mine is all bump-steer however, I have never had problems with cross-winds.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your alignment specs?
Old 09-22-2002, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies... Sad to hear that this appears to be normal. I'm not aure what algnment specs are, but I am going to try and fix this, as I really don't like it. I have a '76 chevy stepside running 295/50/15's and with 100,000+miles since last frontend rebuild, it is MUCH more stable under crosswind and braking conditions. Anyway, thanks again for replies, and when I do figure out the problem, I'll post so others will know also. Later, Kevin.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, Dope, I forgot about response to spinning front tires. With tires off the ground, I can spin them, but they only rotate about 2 times before stopping. There does not appear to be any grinding or abnormal noises. Other vehicles I have will rotate tires much easier. I'm convinced that this is a cause of the rotor warpage problems also, and am working on a solution. Will post when I resolve this. Thanks again. Kevin

Quick Reply: all suspesion guru's Help please!