Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

noises after panhard bar and LCA install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noises after panhard bar and LCA install?

well i installed UMI panhard bar and LCA's and now im getting some weird noises in the back? I put some grease on the ends and still getting weird noises. Its not BAD but enough to hear every now and then and knowing its not suppose to be like that(I dont think)? What is this??
Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque specs on the LCA's is 80ft/lbs on the nut and bolt; check both ends to make sure you are that tight. On the PHR, it's 61 ft/lbs. Also on the PHR, on the passenger side, the bolt should go in from the inside, with the nut visible on the outside when looking at the car from the rear. The driver's side is reversed; you should see the bolt head when looking from behind and the nut should be on the inside.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Viper
Torque specs on the LCA's is 80ft/lbs on the nut and bolt; check both ends to make sure you are that tight. On the PHR, it's 61 ft/lbs. Also on the PHR, on the passenger side, the bolt should go in from the inside, with the nut visible on the outside when looking at the car from the rear. The driver's side is reversed; you should see the bolt head when looking from behind and the nut should be on the inside.
would the bolts coming from the wrong side make noises?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not 100% sure, but the holes are 'tapered'. If you look at the bolt itself, it's thicker on one end than another.

What ends are on the pieces? Like poly, rubber, rod-ends? If it'a a poly/rod-end combo, did you install the poly on the body and the rod-end on the axle? 90% chance it's the LCA's making the noise, the PHR rarely makes noise.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a conversation with Sam I learned for a quiter ride...that if your PHB has a poly end AND a rod end..the poly end should be attached to the body and the rod end should attach to the axel..
Old 07-18-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i thought they were both poly ends?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've gotten a lot of different noises since the install of my PHB & LCA's. It's to the point right now that I've bought a 2nd set of lca's with poly on both ends. I'm hoping this is going to clear up the thunking noise that I've in the rear
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
I've gotten a lot of different noises since the install of my PHB & LCA's. It's to the point right now that I've bought a 2nd set of lca's with poly on both ends. I'm hoping this is going to clear up the thunking noise that I've in the rear

what brand you going with? I thought UMI PB and LCA's were poly on both ends?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the same problem, i have rod end LCAs and PHB, i'm about to change to poly and see if that gets rid of my noise. The rod end ones are strong, but a little too noisy for street use IMO.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is the set i bought http://byunspeed.com/product_info.ph...0db4e2ac7c16c6 I had them greased up and still have noise As stated they are poly end bushings. Whats up with the noise?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont mean to bash a brand but i think maybe those UMI's just suck. I had a set on my old TA and they made nosie, so i sold them and got BMR's and the noise went away.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

which is makin the noise PB or the LCA's?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when i had UMI's, it was only the LCA's i was using a stock PHB, so for me, it was the LCA's making noise. And i greased them and tightened the living hell out of them and it made no change whatsoever.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you think its most likely the UMI LCA's? anybody else had issues with UMI's LCA?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
so you think its most likely the UMI LCA's? anybody else had issues with UMI's LCA?
That's what i'm thinking, do any of the poly ends look funny? i remember when i got mine in, one looked weird, it stuck out too far like it wasn't made properly, dont know if that contributed to the noise or not.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a set of Spohns on the way. Currently running UMI's adjustable with a rod end and poly end.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 Raptor TA
Dont mean to bash a brand but i think maybe those UMI's just suck. I had a set on my old TA and they made nosie, so i sold them and got BMR's and the noise went away.
If you don't mean to, then don't. Their products are top notch and every issue I've ever heard of with them (and it's not many) was installer error or another problem that throwing that particular part at would never fix. You don't seem to have given Ryan a chance to help with your problem. His customer service is tops as well. Bash away...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

IIRC, they make all three versions: poly/poly, poly/rod, and rod/rod. If you get poly/rod, put the poly end on the body. If you get rod/rod, expect some noise as a possibility.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
If you don't mean to, then don't. Their products are top notch and every issue I've ever heard of with them (and it's not many) was installer error or another problem that throwing that particular part at would never fix. You don't seem to have given Ryan a chance to help with your problem. His customer service is tops as well. Bash away...
Thank You!

And yes we get very minimal to no complaints regarding this issue. For manufacturing and selling hundreds of sets this is really the first time I have seen this. The first issue is rod ends, the majority of you are running either rod end/rod end or poly/rod end. Although we use high quality rod ends lets face it, you are replacing a 2" think rubber bushing with a solid joint that has no deflection. Now with that being said we have very minimal issues to none, we run these everyday and I am pleased with the results. If you are replacing your rod/poly set-up from us with brand X using poly bushings on both ends then that is the exact reason they are quieter, its not the brand that fixes the problem its the set-up. If you want that correct performance from your vehicle then some sacrafices must me made, rod ends being one of them. If you do not want any noise issues then you may need to stick with a item that will work but just not be best fit for your application.

Regards,
Ryan
Old 07-19-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Like i said, i wasn;t trying to bash UMI, i just told him i had a similar problem with the same LCA's. I was not trying to imply that all UMI's have problems or anything like that, so sorry if that's how it came across. i guess i didn't word that post too well. Every brand sends out some defective parts, with all the parts made, it's difficult for all of them to be perfect.

Last edited by 98 Raptor TA; 07-19-2006 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: noises after panhard bar and LCA install?