Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

-=Car squeaks around left turns!=-

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default -=Car squeaks around left turns!=-

i've wondered about this a few time, but i still havnt got any good answers. id really like to have this fixed though.

this is on my 96 camaro. see my website for my modifications ( www.cardomain.com/id/loochy88 )

the problem is i get a really high pitched squeak when tunring left. never happens on right turns. it also doesnt happen when the car is going slow. its only turns from about 20 mph up, and it has to be a fairly firm turn. i replaced all four brake pads and that hasnt helped. the rotors are aftermarket rotors, im not sure if that would have anything to do with it. any other ideas? im really stumped on this one. help would be very much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 AM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the back it squeaks?
Checked to see if the rotors are hitting the backing plates?
replaced brakes front & rear?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Mine did the same thing. Loud brake squeal from the left front when making left turns. My rotor had a large visible gouge all the way around it (fairly new brembo rotors, bendix pads) Just replaced the brakes last night, didnt go for a spin to see if the noise is still there but I'll bet it isnt.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

found out what it was, the axle is shifting ever so slightly, and when it shifts out to the left side the outer rim of the outside of the rotor is contacting the caliper bracket. it needs a little grinding, or theres a shim they sell.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Launching!

My brakes are still squealing. I swear it's from the front though. On the left you can hear the loud squeal and on the passenger side you can hear a feint swooshing. I dunno what to do :'(
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loochy88
found out what it was, the axle is shifting ever so slightly, and when it shifts out to the left side the outer rim of the outside of the rotor is contacting the caliper bracket. it needs a little grinding, or theres a shim they sell.
GMs fix for this is a set of caliper bracket shims. I had a 96 and it did the same thing. Put in the shims and it went away.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Any fix for it happening on the front? Before I take it to the shop.

Quick Reply: -=Car squeaks around left turns!=-