Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How well are BFG dr's in the corners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002 | 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Default How well are BFG dr's in the corners?

I am running 315 Nitto dr's. I like to go fast in corners, and they do ok. But, from a stop they go up in smoke (Vig 3200). I'm not gonna exactly heat them up at a red light. I may get BFG's, but how do they handle? I know they won't be like the Kuhmo V700's I used to have, but are they ok or dangerous in fast turns?
Old 12-28-2002 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: How well are BFG dr's in the corners?

I wouldn't do it. I drive my 255/50/16 BFG DRs to the track (90 mile round trip, mostly highway), and they feel ok with 35psi in them, but you can definitely tell they're there if you try to go any faster than 'spirited'. Rear end kinda sways around a lil more, they have soft sidewalls so they flex a good bit around hard corners. Could definitely get yourself in a bad situation with them. I'd think about getting a lower STR converter maybe, or some good suspension mods, or practice your launches better. I dunno how much power you have, but 315 nittos should hook pretty decently. There's better tires out there but they're not for cornering. Best of both worlds would probably be a good road race tire like a V700 or Yok A032R or similar.

Dope
Old 12-28-2002 | 09:15 PM
On The Tree

That's kinda what I thought. I can launch my Nittos w/o spinning, but it would be nice to floor it and hook up. No way will I run V700's again. In the winter, they are like driving on solid blocks of ice until they warm up, and didn't hook that well. And, they picked up and threw every little pebble on the road.
Old 12-29-2002 | 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, regarding the winter stuff, I would run a seperate wheel/tire combo. I see you live down south, so I can't imagine it's THAT much of a problem, but apparently I'm wrong. Up here in the northeast, I run my factory SS wheels with 245/45/17 BFG KDWS tires. They actually hook up better than my 285/40/17 Bridgestone RE730s (on Torq Thrust IIs) in the winter, and are also great in the rain/snow.

Also, give the Yok A032Rs a look. Only problem I've ever seen of them is that they are loud, but I imagine DRs and the V700s are just as loud.

Dope