Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do i need a tourque arm?

my 4 link doesnt have one
Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

if you have a 4 link i guess you don't need one?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the panhard bar keeps the axle in place side to side
the lower control arms keep it in place front to back
the torque arm keeps the axle from rotating

its really a pretty good design and works well... the only thing that sucks about it is that the torque arm is anchored to the transmission and theres nothing you can do about it that doesnt sacrifice comfort

the only other thing i would change about the design (aside from going IRS) is give it a watts linkage instead of a panhard bar. but a good rod end phb is good enough.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

i agree with oldeschool but i am anti IRS. i have had a couple and was never able to get them to hook and go strait or they had really bad wheel hop but everything else i agree with!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not at all trying to start a war std. Just adding this for the benefit of other readers.

There are many ways to do an IRS and some are way better than others. Compare an old jaguar rear to a recent corvette rear if you just want to see how different they can be. The IRS cobras are at a significant disadvantage because the car was intended to be solid axle.

that being said, if you want a strictly drag race car a solid axle is the way to go especially for strength. A retrofit IRS would not be suitable for reasons mentioned above. but for a street car that sees bumpy pavement and is meant to do all things well... IRS is the way to go. every serious performance street car from vettes to porsches to mclaren F1's has an independent rear.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyCarIsSLow
if you have a 4 link i guess you don't need one?
And yes, if you have a 4 link, you don't need a torque arm.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Teching In

it just doesnt seam to hook at all my g body has a factory 4 link and hooks awsome 1.32 60'with no tourque arm my f body isnt even close to that
Old 07-30-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

well lets not go comparing apples to watermellons. there are many more factors to consider when comparing 60' times than just 3 link vs 4 link. Tires, weight transfer and torque for instance.

But if you want to get your f-body to hook better, there are ways. A shorter torque arm and sticky tires and the right springs and shocks will go a long way towards getting power to the pavement.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
the panhard bar keeps the axle in place side to side
the lower control arms keep it in place front to back
the torque arm keeps the axle from rotating

its really a pretty good design and works well... the only thing that sucks about it is that the torque arm is anchored to the transmission and theres nothing you can do about it that doesnt sacrifice comfort

the only other thing i would change about the design (aside from going IRS) is give it a watts linkage instead of a panhard bar. but a good rod end phb is good enough.
Very good points. I think the main advantage to the torque arm design in the f-body is space required and moving the instant center of the car forward(at least I think it would anyway). In order to put in a 4 arm (or link) you would either end up with really short links or cut into the interior space of the car.
As far as the g-body cars are concerned, the baddest g-body of them all (GNX) had a torque arm, so GM saw some benefit to it.