Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Delco Durastops

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delco Durastops

Would you guys recommend these front pads? This is for a daily driver,no auto crossing, etc.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:21 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Default Re: Delco Durastops

only if you don't mind brake dust . Other than that it is a good pad for its price. will not fade as fast as stock pads.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree ... works great on the street but dusts a lot.

GM OEM is a GREAT compromise ...
Old 01-19-2003, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SunsetWS6:
<strong> Agreed, they are good pads but dust like no other. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't go that far. Ever run Hawk Blues? They will not only cover the car in dust, but eat the finish as well ...
Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Agreed, they are good pads but dust like no other.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:40 PM
roy
TECH Resident

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Quickin:
<strong> Garbage.

Durastops aren't even really made by Delco, they just use they're name. I had them on for 2 weeks and took them off and went back to the Original REAL AC Delco pads.

Durastops suck bad. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please explain. The box I have definitely says AC Delco Durastops.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do not understand the negative comment. I used a set of them for the first few thousand miles.

Yes they dusted.
Yes the I could stop the car with more confidence than when stock.
Yes the squeaked on occasion.
Yes I thought they were worth the all the above for the increase in performance.

No I probably will not use them again. I want to use a more agressive pad the next time around. I expect they will dust more, wear more quickly, squeak more, and cost more than the durastops.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agreed early on in this thread ... they are a great pad ... just not for a daily driver.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

How about EBC Green Stuff or Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic? Anyone use these?
Old 01-21-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Garbage.

Durastops aren't even really made by Delco, they just use they're name. I had them on for 2 weeks and took them off and went back to the Original REAL AC Delco pads.

Durastops suck bad.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by roy:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Quickin:
<strong> Garbage.

Durastops suck bad. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please explain. The box I have definitely says AC Delco Durastops. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was told by 2 dealership parts departments that AC DELCO Durastops are not made by GM. They are made for GM. All I know for a 100% fact is that when I did my first brake change, Pep Boys used Raybestos Quiet Stops. They sucked ***, loud, dusty pieces of crap. 2 weeks later after getting pissed off having to clean my front rims EVERY DAY I said screw this and went to the Pontiac dealer and said give me some factory pads. The idiot gave me AC DELCO Durostops. Same friggin thing, JUNK, NOISY and they created a dust storm everywhere I went. I stopped by the dealer and asked why the hell these are dusting and screaming so bad, and my original factory set were smooth as silk and created NO dust at all. The guy asked me what kind of pads did I put on. I told them there parts guy gave them to me and that I asked for factory pads. I told them that they were AC DELCO Durastops. He laughed and said they weren't factory. It was only about 3 weeks in and I told him that the parts guy that sold them to me doesn't know **** about Pontiac parts. I then bought an entire set of REAL factory stock AC DELCO brake pads. The boxes did not say the word Durastop anywhere on them. He gave me one hell-of-a discount to. There expensive, I think the fronts alone were $140.00 and the rears were like $80.00. He gave me all of them for $140.00. My Baer Eradispeeds, which I didn't plan on installing untill everything else went in (check sig for everything else), were just sitting in my storage room. I said screw this and decided to put them on with the new REAL AC Delco pads.
Not a bit of dust, zero noise and smooth as ever.

Another bit of info, which I learned from the reps at Brembo, Mov'it and Baer. I was going to put the best brakes money could buy on my car, like I did with mostly all the other parts so I did allot of brake research. This is what they told me.
The factory rotors that come on any car will stop that car just as good as any aftermarket brake rotor. The braking of any street car is dependant on one thing only, the tires.
The factory rotors will lock the tire's up just like a set of Brembos will. If you were to put a set of "R" compound tires on the car, things would be different, but you're not going to be driving around with those tires.
They said the pads should be the factory pads as well. They said all of the aftermarket pads will just get eaten up quicker and won't stop me any better at all.
Just what I learned from these people.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:32 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Okay Now I understand, Somebody gave you misinformation on the pads. Plus for you , you wanted little to no dust and no noise. Understandable.

And I will also agree with you on factory brakes. They will stop just as good providing for the first one or two high speed pulls. But after that Fbody brake performance is serious degraded.
How do I know this . My car was the first car packaged with Movit.

My benefits with this upgrade. No more warped rotors,, No more taperd pads, Pads that last 2 to 3 times as long as factory pads. Rotors that last 2to3 times longer than factory. A pedal that is rock solid and predictable.

But you are correct that the first 0ne or two 0to60 stops between the two setups are basically the same . But the more heat you build into the Movits the better they stop.

Thanks for expalnation though.

Quick Reply: Delco Durastops