Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

manual steering rack and handling /and other weight loss related ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 03:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual steering rack and handling /and other weight loss related ideas

I was thinking about getting Madmans manual steering rack but wanted to know how hard it is to steer, and at highspeeds especially with a .5 negative camber and tires that already like to fallow road grooves etc. how is the stability going to be?

Plan on dropping the AC as well, along with the EGR. These combined should shed 60 more pounds off the front of this beast. Bringing the weight down to 3380.

98 TA, M6,t tops by the way, heard the 99s and newer have plastic fuel cells as opposed to the 98s metal ones, not to concerned with weight over the *** end though. The 315s spin enough as is.

So far Ive taken 150 lbs off of the car,with the back seat, spare, jack, sound deadening. PA racings mild steel kmember/Aarm combo, dynabatt battery, suncoast fiberglass hood, MAC mid length headers into ORP, helped. The Vortech also helped put about 60lbs back on though.

Would like to get the car into the 3200s. Not a daily driver anymore, was thinking about ditching the monsoon stereo with the additional 10' stealth box and 150w kicker impulse amp and just using my MP3 player and some headphones for music. That would drop another 50lbs there.

I also managed to bend my drivers side MAC subframe connector so thats reason enough for some light chromemoly ones as I heard theres roughly 17 lbs to be had there. That should bring it down to right around 3300. Oh yeah, I rarely have a passenger too so might as well ditch the passenger seat and belt assy for another 35 lbs.

Not solely devoted to quarter mile so not ditching the ILE front sway bar. Heard that HALs are lighter than stock but what about lighter than Bilsteins? How about swapping the Spohn panhard rod, who makes a lightweigh chromemoly panhard rod and LCAs as well?

The suncoast WS6 hood is ok but how much lighter is VFNs bolt on WS6 style hood? I seen on their site that it weighed around 30lbs, and I heard the suncoast is only around 5-10 lbs ligher than the factory non ram air.

Ok now I heard of removing the firewall insulation too, will this make the cabin uncomfortably hot? How about the heat shields from under the car? Plan on keeping the air bags, at least on the passenger side. But if Im removing the passenger seat might as well take the air bag too.

I like Corbeus Carerra seat but how much does this seat weigh compared to the leather non lumbar supportive seat?

Braking, excluding Spohns lightweight rotors that are for quarter mile use only, who makes a lightweight rotor/caliper? Im pretty sure you add a few lbs with those 13" rotor set ups but it is well worth it when it comes to stopping distances but are any systems lighter than stock?

Oh and how about Lexan glass? I read elsewhere that Jegs sells our back hatches in Lexan but I dont know what their talking about when they describe thickness and coated/uncoated.

I dont think this car is going to be streetable when Im finally done with it, thats ok cause Im moving in with family next year when I get out of the Army here in Hawaii and I cant wait to see the look on the guy doing the emissions test with my set up!

Sorry for the lengthy post, just got a little carried away.

Quick Reply: manual steering rack and handling /and other weight loss related ideas