Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn/tubular suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spohn/tubular suspension help

Well I have the spohn LCAs, adj. panhard rod, and adjustable torque arm with the crossmember. The rest of my suspension is bilstein shocks, factory springs, energy suspension bushings in the rest of the car. Its a 94 z28 6 speed. My problem is that it seems the torque arm makes a lot of noise, kind of clunky and sometimes when decelerating it is not very smooth. All of my bushings are well greased, and I can't have more than 1000 miles on these parts. I have the torque arm dialed in at zero preload, so I really can't comprehend why it would seem so jerky. I'm hoping that when I get my subframe connectors on in 2 weeks that this will help alieviate this. Any ideas??? It wasn't doing this 5 months ago when I left for Japan, the adj. nuts came loose while I was gone and my friends would drive it around for some exercise, but I readjusted it and used thread locker this time. This is really confusing as the bolts are all tight and the torque arm isn't loose anywhere...... So yes any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chassie mounted torque arms are loud to began with. your bushings on the torque arm are probably getting worn out too. plus your factory springs got to go, just my .02cents
Old 08-01-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to replace the factory springs, going to order the slp/eibachs today. How can the bushing on the torque arm be going already? It has maybe 1500 miles on it.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

ttt

No other opinons on this? I understand that the arm would make more noise, but it seems jerky at times.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard at least one vendor claim his company's chassis mounted torque arms were no louder than the conventional tailshaft torque arms. If this holds true, perhaps it's in the installation (?) .

On the other hand, I have heard many (non vendors) consumers claim that their chassis mount TAs were loud, and it seems that all use the same word that you did- "clunky".

I thought I wanted a shorter, chassis mounted TA, but I was persuaded to go with a conventional, adjustable piece after reading chassis mount owner's posts. Have you seen the TAs for sale because of "excess noise" in the for sale section? It was posts like yours that persuaded me.

I went with the UMI piece. There probably isn't much difference between all of the adjustable TAs out there. I chose the UMI because the price was right and it used a factory style bushing instead of a pipe that slides in and out (i.e. BMR). I'm not knocking BMR, they've been in the auto business for a long time.

Hope you get it to quiet down. Post your strategy if you get it to stop clunking!

Ben T.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I am going to replace the polyurethane bushing with the QA1 rod end. Anyone else do this or ordered their adjustable torque arm with this already installed? I wonder if it will make it better or worse.

Quick Reply: Spohn/tubular suspension help