Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Roll Cages. Bolt-on or weld-in??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Roll Cages. Bolt-on or weld-in??

Is a 4pt. cage going to be 2/3's as efficient as a 6pt. cage? How much better is a weld-in vs. a bolt-on? Bolt-ins are twice as much as the weld-in but they aren't permanent, and I'm afraid not as efficient. Though, I guess you could always take out a weld-in also right?

Should I do a 4pt. cage and BMR Tubular SFC's like i'm thinking or just do the 6pt.? Does the 6pt. get in the way? Thanks.

Also, some guy on here with bolt-on SLP SFC's got a bolt-on 6pt. cage and said it was squeaking really bad. That happen often? He said welding it in made the squeaks dcrease 95%..??
Old 03-05-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Roll Cages. Bolt-on or weld-in??

A 6 point will help tie the front and rear of the car together. A 4 point will strengthen the rear of the car, but F-bodies tend to flex in the middle. I'd recommend a 6 point and I'd weld it (I welded an 8 point S&W race cars cage in my 1989 Formula when I owned it....). A bolt in is still an improvement. If you don't want to deal with the front points, get a 6 point and just install 4 of them for now (if it is a bolt in and not a one piece cage). Just my thought.....good luck.