Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How Much Can the OEM Brakes Be Improved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Much Can the OEM Brakes Be Improved?

I have 99' Z28. I am wanting to know how much the stock brakes can be improved. I am trying to determine if it would be cost effective to improve the OEM brakes, or just to got to a better brake system. Does any body make better calipers that can be fitted to the stock rotors?
Old 03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How Much Can the OEM Brakes Be Improved?

If the car is street driven (no roadracing or track school), I'd look into a good set of performance brake pads. Carbotech, Hawk, EBC, Porterfield, and many others make everything from street compound to full race pads for these cars. The street pads will help braking feel and handle more heat before beginning to fade. The race pads will handle lots more heat, (if you are going to track school etc, you may want brake ducts as an upgrade as well) make more noise and some of them will keep your rims a constant shade of "brake dust" (black?) while chewing up brake rotors on occasion. There are big gains to be made, but decide how much noise, dust and wear you are willing to live with....ask lots of questions and give it a shot.

I like my Carbotech panther plus pads....however they make lots of noise, dust and wear rotors as well....but damn, do they stop!

Good luck.