Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Difference between Z28 and SS springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003 | 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Difference between Z28 and SS springs

Is there any difference between Z28 and SS springs? I read somewhere that the SS springs were 20% stiffer than the Z28 springs. And how long should stock springs last?

The reason im asking is because I had to cut my stock SS springs to lower my car in order for it to look right with my tire/rim combo. My rear tire/rim was taller than the front so the front had a lot more fender gap than the back. So I cut an extra coil from the front so it would be lower and give it the staggered look. I didn't get aftermarket lowering springs because they are expensive and rough riding and they still wouldn't have solved my problem of having more fender gap up front.
Well now I'm selling my rim/tires with the springs and I need new ones. I was just gonna swap with him at first but his springs are from a Z28 and although I don't like a rough ride, I would rather have the stiffer SS springs to keep it handling sort of descent. Another thing is that his springs have 65k miles on them? Are they broken down or anything by now? I plan on lowering the car again and don't know if they would compress or bounce too much afterwards. I'm thinking about just buying new SS springs all together. What do you think?
Old 03-14-2003 | 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Difference between Z28 and SS springs

I am pretty sure that the SS springs are differentthan the Z springs, but what % stiffer, I don't know. I am putting a prokit on my wifes car is a couple weeks or so and I will have her stock SS springs for sale. If u are interested in them send me a PM or email and we can get these to ya. Good Luck. Bear
Old 03-15-2003 | 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Z28 springs aren't quite as stiff as the ones on the SS because the springs on the SS are 1LE springs which are used for auto Xing and such.
Old 03-15-2003 | 08:15 PM
On The Tree

It depends on what year SS you have. The 98 and 99 SS's use the 1LE springs, where the 2000 and newer SS's use the Z28 springs. I dont know about the 96 and 97 SS's

Quick Reply: Difference between Z28 and SS springs