Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Spring Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Spring Advice

Installed a set of sportlines and the ride looks good but the rearend bounces all over the place anytime I hit a bump. I still want to lower my ride but want something geared more towards roadrace performance. What would be the best springs to get?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I had the sportlines for the lower stance but quickly changed back to eibach prokit. I thought the sportlines sucked. Car was all over, bounced like crazy, and couldn't take a corner worth squat.IMO
Old 08-06-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jvrwong
Installed a set of sportlines and the ride looks good but the rearend bounces all over the place anytime I hit a bump. I still want to lower my ride but want something geared more towards roadrace performance. What would be the best springs to get?
That would be because your stock shocks cannot handle the spring rate and they are all over the place. Think of them trying to handle them and being overpowered.

With that said, the Sportline springs ARE too low for anything but looks. If you want a performance upgrade, I would look elsewhere. I would take a hard look at shocks before springs.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the extreme drop of the Sportlines, I would also think that bottoming the shocks, and/or sitting on the rubber bump stops on the rear, would be a distinct possibility.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

That would be because your stock shocks cannot handle the spring rate and they are all over the place
Exactly! Everyone just wants to throw suspension components on their car without first thinking out the correct combos. Should never buy different springs without getting the correct shocks to match the spring performance.

Kinda like you should never just throw in a large cam without first thinking out how it will work with your heads, valvetrain, etc. Specs of the cam should work in concert with your other engine parts to produce the most power. Same thing applies for suspension products.

If you want the CORRECT advice on which springs/shocks to go with - contact Sam at Strano. He can fix you up with the correct combo and steer you away from the ones that don't work...

-Jay-
Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Teching In

I already have QA1 12 position shocks and an entire BMR suspension. Nothing is bottoming out. What I want to know what springs are people using that gives both great handling and looks.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

QA1 shocks are more for drag racing. You won't solve the bouncy problem ever unless you got some bilstein revalves or konis.

I think my stock springs give great handling and also looks. But I prefer the look of a normal ride height. I'm assuming your asking what springs give great handling and a lower stance. The only thing I'd get that isn't ground control coilovers would be the new Strano springs that are coming out (or might be out already?), since unfortunately they seem like the only good matchup of front and rear springrate out there.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Launching!

So far I went intrax lowring springs they say there 2 inches,
But its more like 2 inch in the front 1.8 in the back!

But I really needed shocks ( the front left actually fell apart when my friend took it off lol) So i went kyb agx adjustables in the front, and kyb gas adjust for the back since they were like 55 cheaper a piece.

I love the handling of my car now. But if you go lower ull need to buy a panhard rod!!! Because when u turn if you give it too mutch gas she will turnaround! But now I can handle 150 goin straight like a champ, just need new tires not too safe doing it on baldies!

Well thats what ive done and I love how she rides except for when I see a speed bump!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

You need shocks, period! Koni's or revavled Bilsteins, don't cut corners if your want your car to corner! The rational is really wierd, a good set of tires costs more than a great set of Konis...

I am biased, because I love our Konis, and we are only dropped a little with Hotchkis springs!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Anyone tried the G2 super springs?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sportlines are lower and softer than the Pro kit. If you go lower, you must go stiffer. It's an appearance spring (as stated) and really is for looks only. You might have a difficult time getting a decent ride with the QA1's. If you turn them up far enough you might get something you're happy with, but I can't say for sure.

Also, if you have an SS, take the metal spacer out from under the rear bumpstops and just install the bumpstop directly on the mount. That will buy you some suspension travel (if you have sportlines and that spacer, you have to be sitting solid on the bumpstops). Running the bumpstop from a V6/Z28 is also an improvement (it's softer initally and more progressive. It's not as hard when you first hit it).

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Anyone tried the QA1 rear coilover kit? A lot of people say QA1's are for drag race only, is that based on opinion only?

Quick Reply: Lowering Spring Advice