Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock help

I'm looking for shocks for my ride that will handle at least 450hp. I'd like double adjustable for the rear and single adj. for the front, staying with stock springs. I want to be able to adjust the rear to be soft on compression to allow the weight to be transferred over the rear wheel and slow on rebound, just in case the front tire comes up. I only need single adj. in the front. I just want something stiffer than stock, as my ride bottoms out on the heavy front end too often. I checked the sponsors on the right, but didn't see any packages to fit my need. I don't know if QA1s or Koni can even be used with stock springs. Can they? I've been directed to Strano, but its the weekend, they're closed and I'm impatient. I'd like something in the $600-$700 range if possible. If you're a vendor please, speak up.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Both Koni's and QA1s can be used with stock springs. Actually the stock springs are pretty good springs to begin with, it is just the deCarbons aren't great dampeners.

I spent more on my SA's than you are looking to spend on SA/DA set. Good shocks will be in your range though, I know a couple guys using Koni fronts and Bilsteins in the rear with good success. Personally, I prefer matching my components to meet my needs as well as my wife's needs.

Are you looking for handling or for straight drag race? That will help in a determination.

JMHO there is only one choice with shocks - Koni. But then again that can be attributed to affiliational psychology (I have them so must justify my use with undying allegiance); with that in mind I would also implore you to be patient and give Sam or Arlyn a call!

Are you at 450rwhp yet or is that a near future kind of thing?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully near future. I have head/cam yet to do. Dart 205s and f13 cam to be exact. This is a dd, so I need to keep that a priority. I'm leaning more towards straight forward speed, than canyon carving ability.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Well if it is a daily driver, then I would be more apt to recommend a more road race setup than a straight drag race setup on shocks. Well, at least my daily commute is more of a road race course than a straight shot.

Dart 205s and a F13 will make a great combo, good luck with it!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what exactly would you recommend?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Do you want to be able to actually adjust the shocks? If so then Koni's would be my only recommendation (not QA1's). Or do you just want the shocks valved for your goals, then revalved Bilsteins would be int he price range you posted. Apparently you are going to keep the stock springs and not lower the car per se...

My recommendation would be Koni's though, but expect to spend more that way.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes..stock springs and no lowering. Revalved Bilsteins will hold up well to 450hp? Do you know where I can find some for a good price? I'll check Strano in a few.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro z28 #2
yes..stock springs and no lowering. Revalved Bilsteins will hold up well to 450hp? Do you know where I can find some for a good price? I'll check Strano in a few.
Yeah the revalved Bilsteins will be fine! I think you will still have to talk to Sam Strano to get what you need for your plans. SLP sells revalves, but they are targeted for their package, and will not be as specifically valved for your needs.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got near that HP, and have had both the Strano revalved Bilsteins and now Koni SA's.

The HP doesn't really matter when it comes to shocks at all.

It's not like 600HP or even 800HP is going to 'break' the shock.

Make sense?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The woman I talked to at Srano said at the 400+ hp level, Koni was the way to go. Maybe b/c of the adjustablility?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing at all wrong with Konis. They are a great, adjustable shock.

But I have to wonder if you need to know which shock would be best for monster power application, just how much do you understand how to adjust shocks for a particular application or road condition?

Adjustability is a great, great thing. I have them on the rear of my race car and do adjust to help my car's turn in, corner exit, mid corner ... whatever.

But at the same time, I've been tweaking and sorting F-Cars for several years now and learn something new each time I go out, either in my car or with a friend or customer's car.

I see a lot of folks with adjustable shocks on their car (Mustang and F-Car) and they never touch them. I don't know if they have the car so dialed in they don't need to or they just drive around where they are set.

Adjustable shocks are a serious investment. Not just in cash, but in education. You need to know what you are in for before making that decision. You can kill a lot of tires adn brain cells chasing adjustable shocks.

YVMV
Old 08-13-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I buy Bilsteins revalved for the application I described to start the thread? I don't know how to adjust shocks, that's a fact. I also don't know if the conditions I described above will hurt comfort and driveability. Either my springs are too soft or the shocks don't control them well, but the ride is too bouncy and bottoms out easy. I also want a shock that will help transfer traction and power to the rear wheel. I.E. the rear shock conditions I described above. ttt

I'm soon to put on 275 tires in front, 315s in the rear on 17s. I know that along with the SFC and STB I'm also putting in will stiffen up the ride. I do want the shock to be a little less giving though in the front.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
There is nothing at all wrong with Konis. They are a great, adjustable shock.

But I have to wonder if you need to know which shock would be best for monster power application, just how much do you understand how to adjust shocks for a particular application or road condition?

Adjustability is a great, great thing. I have them on the rear of my race car and do adjust to help my car's turn in, corner exit, mid corner ... whatever.

But at the same time, I've been tweaking and sorting F-Cars for several years now and learn something new each time I go out, either in my car or with a friend or customer's car.

I see a lot of folks with adjustable shocks on their car (Mustang and F-Car) and they never touch them. I don't know if they have the car so dialed in they don't need to or they just drive around where they are set.

Adjustable shocks are a serious investment. Not just in cash, but in education. You need to know what you are in for before making that decision. You can kill a lot of tires adn brain cells chasing adjustable shocks.

YVMV
I agee that your HP level doesn't dictate your shock choice. I also agree that you don't NEED and adjustable shock. And I agree that most people do not frequenlty adjust thier adjustable shocks.

On the other hand... I think adjustable Konis are great. I don't have enough education or erxperience to fine tune my shocks at the track. But, the beauty of having the adjustablilty is you can make a change if U R unhappy w the behavior of the shocks. This is great for a daily driver beacuse U don't have 2 buy new shocks if you want them softer or firmer... you just get out your wrench and adjuster ****.

And IMHO tune for the daily driving side..it's where you will spend most of your time. I wouldn't give up happiness on the street for a tiny improvement in ET.

Last edited by subtlez28; 08-13-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't agree more.

If you are a tinkerer and/or a tweaker, then adjustability is definitely a plus.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Couldn't agree more.

If you are a tinkerer and/or a tweaker, then adjustability is definitely a plus.

Agreed. 90% of the people here with Koni's don't have a clue how to adjust them. I'm not a fan of twin tube shocks anyways.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

There is one adjuster on a Koni. If they don't have a clue how to adjust them, then I bet they can't change their oil either.

However, I suspect you meant to say they wouldn't know what to expect from the adjustment. Well, what better way to learn than to experience it by playing with the rebound forces? Also, I give all my customers--even potential customers a general lesson on what to expect if you increase and decrease rebound forces at each end of the car, as well as recommended settings for their instance. *AND* encourage them to play around a bit to see if they can find something they personally prefer. And about 10-15% of folks do end up somewhere a little different than my base recommendations. They couldn't do that if they couldn't play with the shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!